1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It just got a whole lot more interesting! Component In Card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jenz, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want one NOW!!

Thank god I didn't buy that Falcon card yesterday!!! Have you had approx pricing yet Jenz?

Rgds
    steve

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No pricing as yet. Am expecting it to be a lot (ie in the $600 region).

4. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Falcon card works out around $300 so if it's at or less than $600 it could be viable as the heart of a killer HCPC.

Steve

5. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hmm. Very interesting.

I take it this is a Conexant BT787 (8-bit dac's) based board? That's why it works with Dscaler now?

Wouldn't cards like the PixelView Xcapture in Japan now, based on the new Conexant 288<mumble> 10-bit/2D comb-filter chipset be a better bet for a new capture card?

regards,
    Rob.

6. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That looks pretty cool.

JFYI, ATi's Rage Theater 2 ("Ripper 2") also supports component capture. There will likely be versions of the Radeon 9700 (and possibly even Radeon 9000) that use a RT2-based daughtercard for full YPbPr VIVO available in a couple of months (maybe late Sept). The AIW R300 should also be available around then and that too incorporates an RT2 ASIC for component capture. This might be a more cost-effective proposition for HCPC use (if you don't need SDI input, of course). I don't have any information about the capture DACs but innovatively, the video stream is processed/accelerated in the pixel shader pipeline (with 128-bit FP precision) and output is through 10-bit/channel palette units. Video input/output quality should be extremely good.

MuFu.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    As per usual they up the numbers by adding all 4 channels together (RGB plus the alpha) not really that relevant for video playback. 32bit float is overkill for an 8bit native source (its even overkill for working in film colourspace 90% of the time).

Still not going to hurt I suppose.

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes... that's true. Of course, they need the per-channel resolution to meet the DX9 spec and maintain colour accuracy after complex blends (when the pipeline functions as a rasterizer). I agree that it's not necessary for video playback, but as you said, it won't hurt.

Since we're moving away from fixed-function processes into a shader based era, technically you can store absolutely any value in those 4 channels (having the symmetrical alpha channel is a bonus in this respect) - should make for some pretty wacked-out realtime filtering capabilities if the coders put their minds to it. :D

MuFu.

9. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's going to retail at $895 although there's an early adopter price of $695 if you want to offer yourself up for selection!!

Steve

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having spent ages going through the avs thread, it looks amazing! Couple up to the sdi player Jeff mentioned in the vid processor section and it should be great!

Now to ask assistance! I have the cash to do this, in my position (ie. i have nothing built yet but want the best i can manage on a moderate budget) would the more knowledgeable here go for this card? Am i going to get around to building with it and find myself running into additional problems or is it as simple as just connecting the sdi player and feeding to my projector?

I really like the idea of forgetting the hassle of software dvd! Plus i suppose I can forget the soundcard!

I will be interested to hear what is arranged for us in europe!

Ad

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    It looks like there's no reason why it can't do euro RGB component either. Fantastic.
    This could really be worth changing my system for.
    I'm not ready to buy yet but I'll certainly be keeping my eye on it.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well...... I think im going to go for ginea pig on this one! I think I will get the sdi panasonic and this card and see where it takes me!

Anyone else going to take the plunge and try it out?

ad

13. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am buns.