1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It just died

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by michael_347_m2, Jan 20, 2003.

1. michael_347_m2

michael_347_m2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe it my sony 36fs70 tv that i hardly use (owned for 2 years) has just died, i can't understand whats wrong, there is no physical damage whatsoever. I just plugged it in and turned it on, it made the usual noise it makes when powering on and the red light came on and off but the screen didn't come on. I tried turning it on and off again repeatedly and even tried changing the plugs fuse but still nothing. Now pressing the power button does nothing. I can't understand it, i hardly use it. There were no power surges or anything similar I could see (the mains adapters are surge protected anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what is wrong, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

2. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could it be moisture?

3. michael_347_m2

michael_347_m2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the room with the set is rarelly used and is is kept dry, but assuming it were moisture are there any possible remmadies. Also does anyone think cold could be responsible?

4. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only reason I say that because my Sony TV went in the blink once due to Moisture... I just had to wait 24 hrs until it came back on...

I have my fingers crossed for you:)

5. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be possible that cold may be partly to blame, one of the solder joints may have become damaged over time due to contraction and expansion when the TV is turned on. I would have thought it would need to be very cold for this to happen though.

6. michael_347_m2

michael_347_m2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate your input very much, if you don't mind telling me more about the symptoms your set displayed when it stopped functioning so i can see if it is similar or identicle to my problem.

But knowing my good fortune (note the sarcasm) my fault will probably be more serious.

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Sounds like a power supply fault in the set. Unfortunately electronic items are like this - perfect one minute and dead the next. They nearly always fail when you switch on because of the surge at that time (just like lightbulbs).