1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It is a great time to buy a PJ isnt it.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

Have been away as a regular poster for some time and not really kept upto date on the PJ front. However, I cant believe what a great time it is for first time buyers and upgrade owners who are looking for a new PJ.

Quite simply, spec is going through the roof and prices are coming right down :clap: :clap: :clap:

Frankly I am appalled by what a few of us paid for our PJs just 18 odd months ago compared to todays prices and spec :mad: (currently own an AE300)

Still, thats progress and it is great for us consumers.

I for one may look at an upgrade over the next couple of months but who knows what to buy? Still, plenty of choice.

Cap :)

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I sure those that have just brought their 1st PJ and those that have just upgraded will be saying the same thing in another 12-18 months :eek:

Ho Hum something to spend out and get excited about again in a few months then :D

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,771
    I could not agree more. Mine is now nearly three years old. Replaced the bulb once and must admit that the next time, estimated a year from now, I won't replace the bulb but just get an upgrade and use the £350 towards that...

Compared to some models out now my PLV-30 seems to age gracefully. At least it can handle PAL progressive without scaling, but the noise is getting on my nerves....There is a good choice nowadays...

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Jon,

I agree. Its all relative. I think that the thing I was trying to say is how much contrast ratio and connectivity has improved whilst prices have come down.

A while back we were all ooohhingg and ahhingg about contrast ratios around 800:1 for £2K. Now £1100 will buy you a PJ with 2000:1 , which to my untrained eyes does make a big difference to the picture.

I note that the new Sanyo Z3 has two component video inputs. That is an example.

Cap :)

5. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I bought an NEC LT75z abot two years ago and have been very pleased with it but things have really moved on since then. The bulb life of the NEC is only 1000/1500 hours (high/low power) A replacement bulb is the ludicrous price of over £400, it makes total economic sense to buy a new projector not a new bulb. A Panasonic ae700 at £1400 or so with a 5000 hour life is nearly the same price as buying 3 and a third replacement bulbs!

Might go and have a look at one soon also like to see the Themescene and Infocus Matterhorn projectors. When I bought the NEC DLP versus LCD was a no brainer, even that has changed.

I do think that the way magazines review projectors needs to change to take into account the sheer competitiveness of this marketplace, instead of reviewing them individualy could they not do comparison tests at different pricepoints. That's what many of the threads on this forum are about and I find them more interesting and useful than many of the magazines these days

6. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I have to agree. I am currently in the market for a PJ and have seen a £1,300 InFocus 4805 and and old ex-dem Sony VPL10-HT which cost about £4k when it came out (dealer wanted £2k).

The 4805 won by a country mile.

7. Richard Moore

Richard Moore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed. I'm pleased to say though that although my PJ (a 5700) has come down in price by about £800 I have never regretted buying it. Comparing it recently with a friends £5K plasma makes me even smugger.

I was watching something on it last night and still marvel at the picture quality. All I need to do now is move somewhere I can have a wall of Rell subs.

8. IanWhite

IanWhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup was going to blow 3K on a plasma, but £600 on an x1 looks like an excellent deal...

Watch tv, dvd, freeview no problems.