It can't be Macrovision, so what is it ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nick_UK, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have a Panasonic E50 DVD recorder which works fine for normal recordings. However, I would like to make copies of a few of my commercial DVD's. Not for commercial gain, just for my own use (honest !) :)

I have a Toshiba 3109 DVD player which has been "chipped", which not only makes it region-free, but it removes Macrovision too. However, when I try to copy a commercial DVD from my Toshiba to the Panasonic, the Panasonic says "Cannot record this disk". If I set the Panasonic to record, then press Play on the Tosh, it stops and displays the same message.

This isn't Macrovision, so what is it ?

Added later: I think it is Macrovision. It seems that Macrovision has moved on a little since I last came across it. Early Macrovision just put a spoiler pulse in the syncs to confuse VCR's, now apparently there's other things inserted into the syncs, which are recognised by DVD recorders. So it appears that my DVD player isn't putting out the spoiler pulse, but may still be outputting the other stuff.

2. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Maybe it's the CSS encryption as opposed to Macrovision.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I thought that only affected straight DVD<>DVD copying on a PC (as opposed to video signal copying) ?

4. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had similar problems with old kids videos that I can't believe they bothered to put any code on, but even using a macro defeat cable couldn't get round it.

Regards

The Dude

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Just an update on the outcome. I ordered a scart to scart "Smart Lead" from KTVision but when I tried it, it didn't seem to work (same old "You can't record this" message).

However, after reading some posts on another forum about the KTVision cables, I tried it again with an external power supply. These cables are supposed to be able to take their power for the microchip from the scart socket, and because the LED on the plug came on when I plugged in, I assumed that I wouldn't need the supply. I was wrong ! After connecting a 9v unregulated supply to the power socket on the scart, the cable works fine, and the Panasonic will allow me to record.

6. ROZ

ROZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nick,

Just checked their site, and as you say, they claim you don't need a power supply. I guess you must have got your own? I also guess there is a socket on the lead to be able to plu in?

How's the quality. I assume that the same kit would work for transferring VHS to DVD?