1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It arrived, my PW6 is finally here...first impressions...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SilverPenguin7, Jun 10, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well, at last I have got my hands on one. Many thanks to Alastair and the wonderful guys and girls at AVSales for a fast and smooth transaction :thumbsup:

Few things that I have noticed already:

Black IS black, after hearing lots about dark greys etc and brown tints to the screen I can honestly say to my eye at least that this screen gives as black a black as I could hope for!

No lip sync issues, at least not with dvd. Another issue that had me slightly worried but so far so good. Not been able to connect Sky yet due to a minor problem but that will be sorted tomorrow so I'll look forward to that.

No noise from the unit, was a little worried about buzzing sounds etc but I don't seem to have any.

Best of all, no stuck pixels :thumbsup:

The set has a simply stunning picture, even the other half said 'its much better than I was expecting!' once she got over the shock of the size of it (the screen that is ;) ). Just need to figure out what the best settings are now for connecting the H/K 2550 which also arrived today as well so its been a goooood day for me :rotfl:

Just a quick question though regarding burning images on screen. In the manual it says avoid 'extended periods' of static images on screen. Anybody have any ideas on a rough time before you need to start worrying (anybody know from learning the painful way?). Will watching something like the Dir cut of lord of the rings cause any problems with the black bars being up for almost 4 hours?

I'm off to watch some films,

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Glad you're enjoying your purchase:) I've had my PW6 for just over a week now, and though I've hardly had chance to watch anything (taken me all week just to get half way through Das Boot), I'm really impressed. The panel DOES show up weaknesses in any DVD transfer, and ropey material looks REALLY ropey, but on well mastered discs it looks amazing.

I agree on the black levels - excellent imho - and spot on service from AV-Sales:)

3. BuzzLightyear

BuzzLightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV-Sales are obviously doing well - I got mine (PWD6) Tuesday - again many thanks to them.

I would concur - the one thing I was really worried about from moving up from my Panny TX32LD1 (which had a most wonderful screen and black blacks) was the blacks - but I have to say they are superb, an almost glossy sheen to them.

As for the length of time before you can burn an image - I would really like to know that aswell - I mean are we talking hours/days. Is watching the footie at the weekend with the wife at work and plenty of beers in the fridge ... hmm oh sorry and the score / time box in the top left hand corner gonna cause a problem !

Enjoy the Panny

Oh and guess what - our Tesco Extra near me has installed back to back pairs of PWD6's every 3 isles to run advertising there must be 20 or more of them - I'll keep an eye on these for burn in problems - what fun I could have with my remote control :laugh: while doing the shopping.

Buzz

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Same with my tesco, and I had that exact same thought myself... :devil: :laugh:

So, anyone have any advice about this screen burn/time thing..?

5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    It seems to be a rule of thumb that for the first 200 hours you watch the plasma full screen with no black borders from a 4:3 image or indeed a 2.35:1 DVD.

After the 200 hours are up then you can watch whatever aspect ratio you want. Contract and Brightness should be near or in the minus figures for the intialisation period. In saying that it delivers the best picture at lower settings anyway.

Hope this helps.

Stu.

6. nickc

nickc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I did was lower the contrast to -4 for the first 200hrs.

I threw any and all ratio's at the screen, all with no after image problems at all :thumbsup:

7. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine on Tuesday from AV-Sales as well (Superb service!!). Very impressed with the image quality, my only worry is how difficult the wall mount job is going to be :eek:

Also if you totally must watch a 4:3 image during your first 100 hours then make sure you have the 2 side bars set to a grey, not black. I will be doing this for the football if its broadcast 4:3, though I did hear at work that the BBC will be broadcasting a moving image on the left and right as the programme itself is 16:9, I hate to watch stuff like that stretched!! I guess it would be ok for an hour or so... although how much money will Euro 2004 make, you'd think they could manage some 16:9 cameras eh! :rolleyes:

LOL! :laugh: :D
    I guess the worst thing you could do is change the channel, then access the hidden menu and disable the remote control. Every Little Helps :p

8. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Panny PWD todayn from AV Sales, All i can say is STUNNING !!

So taking advice from above i have set my contrast to -4 to start with (first 200 Hours) and will make sure borders are set to grey when i watch the footie

is that all i need to know/do? or anything else

Thanks in advance

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    Anything else? Yeah, lean back and enjoy it:)

10. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Spoke slightly to soon, just hooked up sky via the RGB2VGA convertor and when I select the pc input the unit makes a slight buzz. This is only there when the screen is on the pc input, when on the DVD (component) its not there. Must be the way the signal is processed or something?!

Oh another quick question: What does cinema reality do? I can't notice any difference with it on or off :confused:

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using the VGA Input,

VGA to Component on AMP, and Sky + connected to AMP via the RGB - Component coverter

Cant hear any buzzing noise when i selct the Serial Input

12. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hmmm thats annoying! Although you can only really hear the buzz if you stand above the unit, you can hear it through the air vents. It goes when you switch to the dvd like I say. I wonder what is causing it!?

13. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The P6's do tend to buzz when close and some even from a few feet away - it is a well documented fact here and over on avsforum. The buzzing is normally proportional to the level of brightness in the picture and the frequecy of the picture (i.e. PAL or NTSC). The buzzing can also be affected by the picture settings (dynamic, cinema etc) and the contrast/brightness settings.

If your VGA is fed a different source it may be that it is set to different picture settings, hence why you notice the buzz more. A bright white picture should produce the loudest buzz, as it makes the screen do the most work. The buzz is from the PSU as more power is needed to drive the phosphors...

I wouldn't worry about it unless you can hear it from your seating position. It is amazing how many plasmas do actually buzz when under certain conditions and when you listen really, really carefully or stand close to the panel...

JJ

14. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The strange thing is, the picture settings for the VGA and component input are the same!

15. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you using a progressive scan dvd player?

with the vga converter the plasma doing all the processing and work, where as if your using a prog scan dvd the work is being done there.

maybe :thumbsup:

call your self a photographer? get your pics up in the plasma thread :smashin: :smashin:

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,010
    I've noticed my PW6 buzzes too...but only when a really bright scene is onscreen and when the volume is down to -38db ref. level. Not worth worrying about imho:)

17. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That will be it then, the dvd is progressive!

lol, I have taken a quick shot of it on install day so will get it up on the thread later :p

The buzz isn't loud enough to be heard from the sitting position so its not a real problem, I was just curious why it only did it with the VGA input but now I know :)

Have also programmed it in to the pronto, found some descrete codes for direct aspect switching for widescreen so I don't have to cycle through each size to get teh one I want :thumbsup:

18. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do i change the borders on a 4:3 image to grey rather than black?

looked in manual but cant see it

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setup > Screensaver > Sidepanel.

Off, mid or high :)

20. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8

Any reason why when i try them all my bars stay black?

21. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBC1, €uro 2004 coverage?

If so, it's actually a 16/9 broadcast with 4/3 window. In other words the black bars are being broadcast too :(

Try another "proper" 4/3 ratio channel.

:smoke:

22. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have a quick question. When watching R1 dvd's through the screen with my HK 2550 (set to progressive), setting the player to 'auto' (so it selects ntsc automatically) for R1 gives noise in the blacks. It looks like lots of green pixels fairly spaced out dancing around. The picture looks fine from normal viewing distance but as soon as you go close you see the 'noise' again. Also the brightness is much higher on R1 discs with the player set to auto so you have to turn it right down, then back up again for R2 othwerwise they are too dark!

However selecting pal60 for all discs turns the blacks solid again with no random green pixels, even when your nose is squashed against the screen. Plus in pal60 the brightness remains consistent between R1 & 2 discs so no need to keeo adjusting.

I would have thought the screen would produce R1 material better in its native colour system but it appears I was wrong?!

23. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damm i am a football nut and wanted to watch loads of euro 2004, but i will be scared of doing lasting damage on my plasma now as its only a day or 2 old hmmm

24. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I doubt a football match will cause problems, I have watched a couple of 2.35:1 widescreen films now which were over 2 hours each with no problems. My set is only a couple of days old too!

As others have said, I'm sure the ease of getting burn in has been over exagerated. As long as your brightness and contrast are low you will be fine (my contrast is -4 and brightness +4). I also played burnout 2 on the xbox for a couple of hours today with no hint of the speedo remaining once I was finished.

25. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Silver,

The green dacing pixels are a common "feature" on the P6's - you should be able to minimise them by calibrating brightness and contrast to the correct level with AVIA or DVE or THX Optimode. Even then, you will see them if you get very close to the screen a fair bit of the time.

It sounds like your DVD player has a different black level setting for R1 and R2 hence the change in picture - for some players this is normal and may even have settigns like 0IRE and 7.5IRE

PAL60 is meant for screens that cannot accept a native NTSC signal, but as the PW6 can, you shouldn't really need to use it. To be honest, I thought the screen remembered settings for both PAL and NTSC even for the same input, but from your post I guess not...

Maybe someone else with a HK will be able to help...

JJ

26. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm gonna have another play about with it tonight. You can adjust the picture brightness from the dvd player as well so maybe that saves different values for pal/ntsc.

27. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +698
    Just to bump this i'm finding the same thing. If i calibrate using Pal DVE R2 dvd's are fine.

Then if you go into EZmenu on the 2550 then turn the brightness down to -5, view old VE NTSC and the brightness setting is spot on. Strangely the colour using the blue view thing on both VE & DVE is almost exactly the same!

So -5 for R1's and 0 for R2's. Most of my DVD's are R1 anyway.

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Intersting, i have been having issues with a DVD25 on a JVC plasma will give the HK a tweak........... Similar issue on a Marantz Hollywood which gives better blacks but horizontal banding.

29. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I ended up keeping the player on PAL60 as both regions look the same then with no other tweeking needed. It is very strange though!

30. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +698

is this a disadvantage in anyway???