1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Istotek GII Minisub

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Henry, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm thinking about buying one of these or similar unit and wondered if anyone had one and what their thoughts were on it. Do they really make a difference? Or what other brand/model would you recommend?

I'll be using it to power a Pioneer 504, Denon AVC-10SE, Sky+ plus an HDMI capable DVD player when I get around to choosing one!

2. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I borrowed one of these for a week and thought it made quite a difference, in particular giving a greater feeling of space in the sounstage and a lower noise floor. I just wasn't sure that it didn't make things sound a littlle thin. On balance though, I think it was a worthwhile upgrade and will probably splash out for one in the coming months

3. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    i glad this thread has come up.
    i want to know,did it make a differance in the picture in any way?
    thats using both sky and dvd.
    i'm told that it should but never had anyone try it out.
    look forward to your comments

4. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Unfortunately I only borrowed the standard unit, not the +vision version with the extra filtering for video. I didn't notice a difference on TV and changing on PJ took too long for it to be a meaningful comparison. I asked isotek about this and they said the +vison version would definitely show a difference (but they would wouldn't they)

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    These type of units can make difference but the only way to find out is to try them. Ben Duncan also makes similar devices.

One observation, make sure you match the power requirement of your system to the power supply. Power amps seem to benefit the least from this type of treatment.

6. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Henry

I have one of the original minisubs and it has made a difference to the sound from my hifi equipment. I tried various combinations of equipment via / not via the sub as a test and if I am honest it was only when I used it with the amp that I could hear a discernable difference. The minisub added depth to the music with sounds being longer and fuller (or with more "echo"). It is difficult to describe.
    I also pipe my plasma through it but am not sure it really made a difference (sometimes I think it has but in honesty I think I would struggle in a blind test!).
    In the end it is hard to say whether it was worth the money. Performance of my system has improved but maybe if I'd spent the money on upgrading my components I might have got the same (or a better!) result. However, I have decided to keep my mini-sub and am happy with it. It looks good too and helps with keeping my cables tidy by having only a single mains cable running to the wal!l

There have been many threads on this forum about isotek products with wildly varying opinions so you can only suck it and see I guess. They fetch a pretty good price on e-bay if you decided to re-sell but your best bet is to try to get a 30 day trial of one so that you can take it back if it doesn't give any improvement.

One further thing. I also tried the lower priced cleanline but found it did not improve my system at all. I can only think that the outlets on the mini-sub which are designed specifcally for units which require more power (i.e. amplifiers) are the reason for this.

Hope this helps
    Jimmy

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Overall, I'd have to agree with Peter Baker. To my eyes, it does improve it although how it improves it is difficult to be totally clear and objective about it. Whether it's worth the money is a different matter. The convenience factor also played a part in my buying it. It really tidied things up for me. The pretty blue light is nice too! :laugh:

8. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up a GII last yesterday (Vision) and after connecting and reconnecting it to the system more times than I can count I couldn't see any difference whatsoever. I have a Fujitsu 50" plasma, Denon AVC 10SE, Denon DVD2800, and Kef Refs 203 (202c), M&K surrounds and M&K sub.

I am Mr fussy and really wanted to see, or hear, a difference but could not despite meticulous and repeated scrutinisations. At least it was on trial...

I'm a a bit disappointed not to have noticed even the slightest difference! But then, how much would you spend on a very slight, barely perceptable difference?

9. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I've decided I would like to buy an Isotek G11 Mini sub mains conditioner.

However, I can purchase locally the Isol-8 mini sub.

I unerstand the products are basically identical.

The question is would it be better to go for Isotek or Isol-8?

i.e. which company is likely to still be around in five years, and do Isol-8 have e production quality/standards/service comparable with Isotek?

Any comments/experiences would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
    chambeaj

10. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    FWI the Isol-8 company is run by the former front man/designer of Isotek products so one would expect many of the Isol-8 products to perform equally as well if not better. Unfortuntely tho' they don't seem to have quite the same resources for making professional machine etched front panels.

As the designer parted company from Isotek tho' some of his products have needed to have some small redesign configurations to avoid copywriting since the designs legally belonged to Isotek.

That said there's more than one way to skin a ferret so I would not expect wild varying performance differences between products and company's except for the few products at the higher echoleons of the market.

I have a Isol-8 mini-sub for music purposes and the jury is still out as to whether it is preferable even after a year or so of ownership! All I can say is the unit seems to provide better clarity and cleaner sound which must be down to reducing mains noise/spikes and interference between units (which it claims to do).

I'm gonna give it a proper try on the AV stuff tonight see if anything changes even tho' the unit itself is not strictly designed for this purpose.

11. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Never as much as an Isotek mini sub. More like £20 if that was very small in comparison to the sum of the parts.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm not convinced about this approach to fixing problems. If I were to go down the route of power conditioner I would get a system that I was happy with. Then see if it can be improved by adding dedicated spur and power conditioning etc.
    I think power conditioners can be useful in final tweaking of a system but not as a cure for poor soundstage/lack of detail etc. If you have a good clean mains supply they don't do much at all.
    My own experience tells me that on a dedicated spur there is no difference between an old UPS and any of the Isotek ISOL products to either sound or vision. Far more can be achieved by simply getting a better Amp/CDP/Speakers etc.
    However,:rolleyes: I did just buy a Nordost Thor. I believe It actually does what all the other products claim to do.

13. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Which essentially is just a G2 Mini sub with Nordost wiring.

Having heard this tho' it did seem to do impressive things.