Issues with the picture on Philips 43PUS8555/12 - please can anyone help!

sambomarshall

Novice Member
Recently bought this tv, it looked great in the shop but we are having issues with the picture, I've had a fiddle around with some setting but am pretty clueless what any of it means!

When the picture gets darker or there is a person in the foreground (eg looking at back of them) and the focus is on someone further away, I get this effect. Does anyone know how to remedy this? Also intermittently the sync goes, we have a soundbar but I find that even if I turn on the tv sound it can be the same, just slightly out. I haven't managed to isolate any particular app (we use sky/netflix/britbox etc) it just happens sometimes.

Any help very gratefully received!
IMG-7895.jpg

confusedmark

Novice Member
Hi, did you get this resolved? I have just got this set two days ago and have had a play about with various settings, but not managed to recreate your issue, the screen seems sharp and flows well including the syncing to our soundbar. However, I have found another issue, which I don't know if you can confirm is the same on yours or not.

I replaced a three year old Samsung with this Philips set as I was fed up of looking at screen bleed and had gone through two screens in three years and both developed the same problem. I then noticed on startup out of the box on this Philips a greenish hue in the middle of the screen, when viewed at an extreme angle, as I was just finishing tidying the cables, when I noticed it as I looked back at the screen. Its most visible on mainly the grey background of the settings20201118_165216.jpg
20201118_165030.jpg
menus and manifests itself from a distance as a just a slightly different shade of grey. My guess is heat from components fixed behind it. Otherwise the screen is uniform in all corners and no obvious bleed or glow, so I'm tempted to keep it, as I'm worried a second set could have other issues that are more annoying! Apologies if I now highlight something to you that you hadn't noticed, but I'd be interested to know.
20201118_165216.jpg
20201118_165030.jpg
20201118_165216.jpg
20201118_165030.jpg
20201118_165216.jpg
20201118_165030.jpg

sambomarshall

Novice Member
Hi there, no I haven't managed to rectify it though to be fair I got bored of trying and haven't fiddled about with it recently.
Can I ask what settings you have or was it just fine out of the box?

I haven't noticed the green tinge you mention, but I will go and have another play with it shortly if you can tell me your settings and I'll look at it from a side on angle and see

confusedmark

Novice Member
Hi there, no I haven't managed to rectify it though to be fair I got bored of trying and haven't fiddled about with it recently.
Can I ask what settings you have or was it just fine out of the box?

I haven't noticed the green tinge you mention, but I will go and have another play with it shortly if you can tell me your settings and I'll look at it from a side on angle and see
I just went with the middle option settings that it gave in the initial setup i.e. medium for all I think from memory. I have tried to change settings and it makes no difference to this. Thanks for your help.

sambomarshall

Novice Member
No I don’t have your issues, looks fine on mine. I’ve tried all sorts of settings now and nothing makes any difference to my issue

Attachments

• D5694F69-678E-4866-AD2B-40C3635D007D.jpeg
    D5694F69-678E-4866-AD2B-40C3635D007D.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 83

confusedmark

Novice Member
Well we've either both got sets that are faulty with different faults or they acceptable quirks within tolerances. The problem is whether a replacement improves or just adds a different fault or issue. Let's see if anyone else comments. Keep me posted what you do. I got mine from Currys, where was yours from?

confusedmark

Novice Member
I spent ages researching as I'd been massively disappointed with the Samsung I got 3 years ago. Still have a Panasonic from 2010 that has a superb picture, but its only 32 inches and wanted bigger and the Philips on Android seemed to have it all. I've arranged a replacement this morning that's coming on Saturday. Shame about Richer Sounds not having it in stock as they have a 5 or even 6 year in house guarantee as well, but were £110 more when I looked. Price now has come down, but still tenner more than Currys.

sambomarshall

Novice Member
I spent ages researching as I'd been massively disappointed with the Samsung I got 3 years ago. Still have a Panasonic from 2010 that has a superb picture, but its only 32 inches and wanted bigger and the Philips on Android seemed to have it all. I've arranged a replacement this morning that's coming on Saturday. Shame about Richer Sounds not having it in stock as they have a 5 or even 6 year in house guarantee as well, but were £110 more when I looked. Price now has come down, but still tenner more than Currys.
Did you call Currys or Philips?

alien2000a

Standard Member
Hi there. There are teo sides to this story. 1- as far as i understanf you’re referring to the banding problem at the back. (Gradient arches.) I’m wondering which source you are using for this scene. In my case i realised using netflix and amazon (internet sources) with Wifi causes this problem. Satellite or aerial Tv nor USB video causes rhis. When the bandwith or wifi signal is weak stream quality drops and banding appears. I tried connecting the TV to rhe router with ethernet cable (or can use a high speed range extender in between) banding disappears

2- colour quality. İ’ve calibrated the tv with pro tools and gotthe optimum quality after a weeks use. Default settings including vivid are awful in my opinion. I’m very happy with the calibrated setting. I’ll share it once i’m next to my computer, hope it helps.

Oggy1

Novice Member
@alien2000a Do you have no issues with blotchy dark images?

I was pretty set on this TV till I saw this thread and this review on amazon:
I've tried everything to get this TV looking good, and it just won't work. The problem is with shadows and dark areas. For some reason they just seem blotchy, broken, and ugly.

sambomarshall

Novice Member
I just rang Currys and told them the situation and that I wanted a replacement. All agreed no quibble and coming on Saturday.
Well you are very lucky
I have been trying to get them to sort this for three hours
They keep cutting me off and not calling me back despite assurances that they will.
Then they claimed they had to get a code from philips and cut me off again while on hold getting it
I called Philips they said that Currys know full well there is no such code and that they have to replace it.

arghghghghgh

confusedmark

Novice Member
Nightmare! To be fair I was on for 40 mins, firstly to the wrong person who transferred me to another wrong person and then I got someone who could help. They need to do this for you on a 17 day old set. I'm sure their t&c's state up to 30 days you can request exchange or refund. Keep in touch and I'll update when I get my replacement.

confusedmark

Novice Member
Oggy1, I spent ages researching and have put up with a Samsung that has had replacement screens and still been rubbish with shadows, so its definitely not just Philips. My only problem is the green hue as shown in my pictures that shows as a lighter grey on menus and lighter screens otherwise I think it is a very good TV. The build quality feels miles ahead of Samsung. My 10 year old Panasonic 32 inch is still good though and I did wonder about a Panasonic TX-43hx580b, but the Philips Android seems better and more open source to getting apps etc and a more hooked up user experience.

sambomarshall

Novice Member
Well finally I got someone sensible on chat, new one coming tomorrow!
I will let you know how I get on with it

I really miss my old panasonic, it was so good but none of the smart bits worked so was a bit of a faff

confusedmark

Novice Member
Well finally I got someone sensible on chat, new one coming tomorrow!
I will let you know how I get on with it

I really miss my old panasonic, it was so good but none of the smart bits worked so was a bit of a faff
Here's hoping we're both a bit more lucky with these. Then we can maybe tweak the settings like has been mentioned above to achieve a good picture, although to be fair on medium settings I thought it was a pretty stunning picture. All my other AV kit is Panasonic and like you say its purely the smart features that let them down.

On a separate note, did you have a hard time screwing the base together as the initial single screw was so tight I nearly rounded the screw head! I might just keep the old base and swap out when the new arrives.

BisKyt

Standard Member
That effect is usually caused as a consequence of MPEG compression. And the lower quality the source (e.g, the higher compression) the worse it will be.

There are a few settings that you can change to minimise the issue:

1. In all settings -> Picture Style -> Advanced -> Picture clean, set the MPEG article clean setting higher
  2. Turn down the contrast (backlight contrast and video contrast), this helps a lot
  3. Turn off HDR upscaling (all settings -> Picture Style -> Advanced -> Contrast)
  4. Turn off dynamic contrast
  5. Reduce the brightness
Obviously there is only so far you can go with reducing the conrast and brightness before the picture becomes too dark, but you should be able to find a good balance. The Dynamic contrast setting is probably the worst cause. It is always one of the first things I disable on any TV

alien2000a

Standard Member
@alien2000a Do you have no issues with blotchy dark images?

I was pretty set on this TV till I saw this thread and this review on amazon:
I've tried everything to get this TV looking good, and it just won't work. The problem is with shadows and dark areas. For some reason they just seem blotchy, broken, and ugly.

In dark scenes yes it is no good. I meant with default settings even the normal lit scenes did not look good at all I only managed to fix that part with calibration. This affected dark screen performance too but not as much as I would have wanted. Since this is a VA panel and other brand VA panel TVs don’t have this problem, I believe it comes down to P5 engine. Philips seriously needs to fix this with future updates.

confusedmark

Novice Member
Yes! We just had the same discussion that we would keep the base and swap out the tv!
Did you get your replacement and is it better? Sadly I didn't get my replacement and having spent around 5 hours in total trying to sort out with no joy! I've taken it apart and reassembled three times so far based on a wrong initial date, then a collection, but no new item and then again a failed delivery! Absolutely useless and TV out of stock now! I may just keep the one I've got as I simply haven't the time to waste on it.

Be interested to know if yours is sorted now though.

Hi there. There are teo sides to this story. 1- as far as i understanf you’re referring to the banding problem at the back. (Gradient arches.) I’m wondering which source you are using for this scene. In my case i realised using netflix and amazon (internet sources) with Wifi causes this problem. Satellite or aerial Tv nor USB video causes rhis. When the bandwith or wifi signal is weak stream quality drops and banding appears. I tried connecting the TV to rhe router with ethernet cable (or can use a high speed range extender in between) banding disappears

2- colour quality. İ’ve calibrated the tv with pro tools and gotthe optimum quality after a weeks use. Default settings including vivid are awful in my opinion. I’m very happy with the calibrated setting. I’ll share it once i’m next to my computer, hope it helps.
Hi, it would be interesting for me to try your settings as soon as you can post.
Thanks

Oggy1

Novice Member
I'd be interested to know what alternatives people are considering? I purchased a 43PUS8545 and the screen arrived with a scratch so it had to go back but now nowhere has got a 43 in stock. I'm looking at the Sony's but its a big jump in price.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces 806, 856 and 706 OLED TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Falcon Acoustics launches Q7 speaker kit
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches React soundbar with Alexa
  • By Andy Bassett