Issues with sky aerial for freesat

Snaisby

Novice Member
Hello, newbie here!

I recently moved into my new house and the previous occupants had a sky dish installed - double cable which comes out in the living room. Unfortunately they have also taken out the terrestrial aerial feed to the room.

I'm wanting to get Freesat and have bought an LG TV with internal freesat tuner (Buy LG 28TK420S-PZAEK 28 Inch Smart HD Ready TV | Televisions | Argos) as was hoping to just be able to use the existing sky dish. However the tv does not recognise that the aerial is connected. The install process (postcode, channel download) seems to have worked fine, smart TV functions work on my WiFi.

Am wondering if this is an issue with the dish itself (as far as I understand some sky dishes require a new LNB to get Freesat?).

Pictures of the dish and cable attached, they look pretty new and in good nick.

Any advice appreciated, don't want to shell out on an aerial fitter if I can just solve the problem myself.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_210417390.jpg
    IMG_20190117_210417390.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20190117_210413438.jpg
    IMG_20190117_210413438.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20190117_210237463.jpg
    IMG_20190117_210237463.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
How many cable connections are available under the LNB? The pics don't show the critical area.

If only two it will be a $ky Q type and incompatible with freesat. A standard $ky quad LNB will have four. That type should work.

Assuming it is a Q type it's fairly simple to d-i-y swap the LNB if access to the dish can be achieved safely.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for your reply!

It just has 2 outputs so must have been sky q. Dish is just next to me bathroom window so easy to access. Would this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LKRMOC4/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1TYA0KFRMCC0P&psc=1 be the right type of lnb? Any tips on installation?

Thanks again!View attachment 1110979

That's the one. Just be careful you don't move the dish. Use any two of the four outputs. I would use silicone grease on the connections for long term reliability.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom