Issues with PS5 and RX-A2A

Danbojones

Novice Member
I've recently got a Yamaha RX-A2A, which I've connected to my 2019 65"Samsung Frame. I have an Xbox Series X connected to the HDMI port marked 'Game' which works fine, but the PS5 I have connected to another port (I've tried several) just shows a black screen.

The amp recognises it (it shows up on the amp display as PlayStation 5 Straight) but when I look at the amp menu overlay the video in info is blank. All HDMI cables are 2.1 capable. Can I seriously only connect one console at a time through the dedicated port?

dante01

Distinguished Member
I;m expert on the PS5, but you'd need to set the console up as though not connected to a 4K 120Hz compliant AVR. The Yamaha models aren't as yet 8K 60Hz or 4K 120Hz compliant and wont be until Yamaha updates them to give them the ability to handle these types of video signal.

You'll get better performance from your consoles by connecting them directly to an HDMI version 2.1 enble display and then using eARC to pass though the audio to your AV receiver. Yamaha were supposed to have posted an update by now, but haven't.

This video may also be of interest:

If connected to the AV receiver then you'd need to select the resolution that is compliant with the AV receiver's capabilities and not the TV's.

Last edited:

Danbojones

Novice Member
So now neither the Xbox or the PS5 is connecting, both showing a black screen. Connecting direct to the TV shows the picture, but turning the amp to TV input (it's connected via the earc hdmi at both ends) still routes the sound through the TV.

Danbojones

Novice Member
So now neither the Xbox or the PS5 is connecting, both showing a black screen. Connecting direct to the TV shows the picture, but turning the amp to TV input (it's connected via the earc hdmi at both ends) still routes the sound through the TV.
And now the TV doesn't see the amp as a source at all....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom