Question Issues with Modem mode on a SH 2ac, no internet on asus router but fine on router mode :(

BritanniaJaf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, please help, a couple of days ago my Asus 68AC just decided to give up the ghost or so I thought. Got up next day and tried again but still no joy. I switched the S2 back from modem to router mode and all of a sudden it started working again.
Enabled modem mode again and got the message saying DHCP problems with my ISP. I assumed the router had gone as I said above never changed anything and it had gone.
So went to Argos just to get a cheap router and confirm my suspicions the router had went and tried the TP Link router from argos and same issue again. Modem mode gives no internet out at all and switched back to router mode on the SH2 and the TP link router was working perfectly.

What am I doing wrong here?

I would suspect a SH2 problem. Switch off for 10 mins? Then try and force a firmware update incase there is one waiting. Last thing is a complete reset (pin hole thing)

Done a bit more research, it seems when you put your SH in modem mode it only accepts the connection of the first machine you connect it to, ie it was on my laptop to confirm it worked and then switch over to my router and it was giving me issues. I reset the SH again via my phone and put connection into my router first time and started working fine. Was working fine for past 2 days, got up this morniing and it was away again. Restarted the router and it appears to be back but get the feeeling the router is on the way out :(

@Paul D I see on another thread you use yours in modem mode and a different router. What SH/Router do you have as am thinking it mght be time for a new router.

I use a Asus RT-AC87u.
I bought it last year for around ÂŁ80 via ebay.
I haven't had any problems with it except it needs a quick reboot every 3/4 months, when the kids say the connected "home plugs" stop working.

If it helps, I use my SH3 in modem mode with an Asus RT-68ACu.

Before I used it with an SH2 which Virgin replaced.

When we had trouble with the broadband I used the log in the Asus to show Virgin that the modem was crapping out.

So maybe check the log, it will tell you if the WAN goes down.

I had to hard reset the SH2 several times to get it working but it wouldn't last. There is also a log in the SH2 you could check, which will show you connection errors amongst other things.

Virgin support - use their community forum, BTW, not the phone support (unless you like going round and round with an Asian call centre) - might ask what errors you're getting.

If you fancy the challenge, you could flash the Asus with a differentent firmware to see if that helps, but as you've tried a different router and get the same problem, my money's on the SH2 being the cause.

Hope you get it sorted.

If it helps, I use my SH3 in modem mode with an Asus RT-68ACu.

Before I used it with an SH2 which Virgin replaced.

When we had trouble with the broadband I used the log in the Asus to show Virgin that the modem was crapping out.

So maybe check the log, it will tell you if the WAN goes down.

I had to hard reset the SH2 several times to get it working but it wouldn't last. There is also a log in the SH2 you could check, which will show you connection errors amongst other things.

Virgin support - use their community forum, BTW, not the phone support (unless you like going round and round with an Asian call centre) - might ask what errors you're getting.

If you fancy the challenge, you could flash the Asus with a differentent firmware to see if that helps, but as you've tried a different router and get the same problem, my money's on the SH2 being the cause.

Hope you get it sorted.

Im going to give it to the weekend, if another drop ill try another router and obviously if that drops it must be the SH2. Gawd I hope not, do no want to upgrade to the S3 at all :(

How come? My SH3 has been fine in modem mode.

It is rubbish in normal though, it has to be said. Usable, but rubbish for options.

Al the latency issues that were apparently affecting it, think its a dodgy chipset from what i remember.

Just did a quick couple of pings:

C:\windows\system32>ping google.co.uk

Pinging google.co.uk [172.217.169.35] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.217.169.35: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=53
Reply from 172.217.169.35: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=53
Reply from 172.217.169.35: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=53
Reply from 172.217.169.35: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 172.217.169.35:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 19ms

C:\windows\system32>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [216.58.210.206] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.210.206: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.210.206: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.210.206: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=55
Reply from 216.58.210.206: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 216.58.210.206:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 23ms, Average = 14ms

However, I don't know if that's good or bad :laugh:

Or did you mean there's latency in the SH3 modem itself?
TBH I don't know how I'd test that.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out.

Edit: you got me reading up. Seems the single-core Intel Puma chipset ain't man enough. I wonder if Fortnite reports latency? I could fire that up and see what the latency's like.

Last edited:
Yeah from what I remember gaming is the most it affects, I was offered the chance to upgrade to 362mb but needed a S3, got the SH3 delivered on Friday, played forza on the xbox, it was awful to say the least. Thankfully I managed to get my SH2 back on about 2/3 days later and ran like a dream.

So far its been fine tonight but again still not convinced.

There was talk of new firmware, but AIUI it's a simple case of poor choice of hardware in the modem.

Well thanks for giving me something else to worry about :D Won't be long until my kids (and possibly me) are complaining about that.

The real shame is that there must be hundreds (thousands?) of perfectly good SH2s that went to recycling centres.

Why do virgin keep stuffing up an otherwise great product :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom