1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with housing a large sub in a custom AV cabinet?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by PhilbyJ5, Sep 9, 2004.

1. PhilbyJ5

PhilbyJ5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have recently purchased a kick ass new Velodyne 15" sub. I want to get an AV cabinet custom made to house all my AV gear and for WAF and domestic harmony reasons, would REALLY love to house the rather large sub in the cabinet as well.

I was hoping people could tell me what sort of issues I should look out for when designing the cabinet? The rear of the cabinet will be open for heat dissipation (for all components including the sub). The sub is a Velodyne CHT-15 (http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=1&sid=190f418f).

Its imperial dimensions are 21"H x 18.5"W x 22.75"D and it weighs 83lbs.
    Its metric dimensions are 53.3cm H x 47cm W x 57.8cm D and it weighs 37.65kg.

It is front ported and front firing so I am hoping there won't be too many issues.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions ! :)

Cheers,

Philby

2. cinesom

cinesom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    watch out for rattles!

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Isolate it from the cabinet with a layer of high density foam...

4. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I am currently designing my 3.5m wide cabinet to house all by gear and two Kef THX subs. I will remove the front speaker covers as each door of the cabinet will be faced with acoustic cloth.

In order to remove the vibrations from the subs to the av gear, we are just going to cut out the base of each cabinet that the sub will be placed and allow the subs to sit directly on the floor.

On the issue of heat, I am looking at 19" cooling racks that you find in server rooms. I know Mid Atlantic make some, but I am not sure how much noise these make. What I would like to do is link them to my crestron system with a heat sensor and have them automatically turn on. Need to find a crestron programmer.