Issues with Audio over HDMI

oliem2000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps.

I've recently completed a custom gaming HTPC build. All's great but I'm having issues getting anything other than stereo audio.

I'm running HDMI from an Asus 7770 to a Sony STR-DH800 and I'm using the Win-8 64-bit release preview. I've tried various drivers including CCC 12.6, 12.7 beta for both Win7 + Win8. I've also tried Realtek drivers but these seem to only relate to onboard audio which i've disabled (MSI H77MA-G43 motherboard) to prevent any audio conflicts.

I'm fairly certain this is a driver issue as I've used the receiver with another PC in the past and had no issues with audio over hdmi.

One thing I have noticed is that following installation of catalyst drivers and then viewing 'Playback Devices' is that a generic High Definition Audion Device (ie non-AMD) is listed with a Microsoft driver. Attempting to configure this only presents stereo as an option. It's almost as if there isn't a HDMI driver included within CCC.

Any help is much appreciated.

What's the surround source? i.e. pre-encoded dolby/dts or PCM?

The source is just from windows itself. All I've been doing is attempting to configure the speakers through windows. I did, however, try the Dark Knight (TrueHD) blu-ray via VLC just to check and is still coming through in stereo.

Well I finally managed to resolve the issue (sort of), so will post the solution that worked for me in case any others come across similar issues:

It appears, for whatever reason, the latest version(s) of catalyst drivers will not install the necessary HDMI audio driver for the 7770 graphics card. Whether or not this relates to my particular model of card and/or OS version (Windows 8 64-bit Release Preview), I don't know.

In order to get the device working correctly (and obtain full 5.1 channel audio as a result) was to obtain the Hardware ID which can be done by the following:

Start -> Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers -> *audio device* -right-click, Properties -> Details Tab -> Select 'Hardware Ids' from the 'Property' drop-down menu -> right-click 'Value' and select copy

Paste this into Google to (hopefully) bring up drivers that specifically mention compatibility with the designated audio device, install and hope for the best.

As it happens, it was version 11.4 Catalyst drivers that did the trick for me. I was able to do a custom install and select just the AMD HDMI Audio Device driver, which, upon restarting was fully functional.

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom