Issues with 2 Receivers: Video cuts out but audio remains...

JJone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread...I'm new here. :)

First of all, I've scoured over countless googles and multiple forums and I've yet to find a solution. I wouldn't consider myself a complete n00b on AVRs and I've hooked up many home theaters systems for myself and friends over the years. But like the man next to me, I don't know everything, so I've come to the AVR GODS of avsforum for help... :)

Basically my spiel goes like this:
I originally wanted an AVR to use in my entertainment room. It is used mostly for video gaming, with the occasional film and TV show thrown in, but mainly for gaming.
I have a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and my TV is a Panasonic Viera T50UT30B (specs link).

After last xmas I bought an Onkyo TX-NR515 unit. While I enjoyed the sound from it, occasionally-to-fairly-frequently the video would suddenly cut out but the audio would remain playing. Essentially, my screen would go black, but the audio went on. My only way to remedy this was to turn off all of the devices and restart again. Usually this would do the trick and I wouldn't reproduce this issue until a couple of days or viewing sessions later. Although occasionally, it would happen multiple times in the one night. It was too hard to predict or to manually and reliably reproduce this issue each time.
I tried the usual suspects to resolve this: getting the latest firmware, unplugging the unit for an hour and plugging it back in, I even did a factory reset, and none of these fixed the issue permanently. I also checked the HDMI cables and the cables in use were all HDMI 1.4 and they work on any other connection configuration that did not involve the Onkyo (ie hooking the xbox directly to the TV).

So I got fed up with the unit and always losing my in-game/mid-movie progress and I returned it to the retailer (Richer Sounds). Instead of a refund, I swapped it for a Denon AVR2113 and I figured that that would be the end of it.

However...

The past few nights I have come across the same issue with the Denon, but worse! In fact, tonight it happened and I could not get the Denon to work again after a power cycle on everything. Power cycling the unit (turning it off and then on) did not resolve the issue. In fact, now no sound or video (or OSD from the Denon) is working from the unit. It has also stopped powering on with the TV, as it did before, and it has stopped receiving the TV audio over the ARC (Audio Return Channel) connection. It is effectively bricked!
I tried to unplug the Denon from the wall in order to completely power off everything within the unit. I left it a minute and plugged it back in.... nothing fixed!
I am reluctant to do a factory reset as I will lose my Multeq EQ data and will have to do it again tomorrow....but I will do it tomorrow in hopes of restoring SOME functionality. Its a bit late to have sign sweeps going through my house! :)

I would expect this to bring it out of its "coma" state, but until the next time the screen goes black again. A factory reset is NOT a compromise I can or should have to live with considering how frequent the blank outs are. Having to factory reset and re-calibrate the Multeq EQ each time is ridiculous. I'd be hearing those painful sweep signals in my sleep!

So...

Can anyone help me or help to shed some light on my situation? I'd like to try everything before I go back to the retailer as I find it hard to believe that I could be that unlucky twice in a row. Then again, I wondered if the 2 AVRs had similar components in them and there was a bad batch that got into both?
Ah...I'm guessing here as I'm completely out of ideas and am at wits end here...

Many thanks in advance for any advice or assistance anyone can give.
-J Jones

P.S If my only or best course of action is a return, can anyone recommend a decent receiver on par (or better) than the Onkyo TX-NR515 and the Denon AVR 2113 for around a similar price? (£280)

Unfortunately, you'll need to do factory reset and start again to see if the fault reoccurs. If it was sent away for repair they'd do that anyway. Not really much else you can do unless you want to return it as faulty (although they may ask you to reset it beforehand).

Could be the HDMI board that is on it's way out.

Last edited:
Hi There,

I also have the same Denon AVR 2113 as well. Mine also lost the picture only but maintained the sound now and then. But since the recent software update for the amp it now does it quite regular.

In fact as posted on here recently for some bizarre reason it now does it at 7:55pm some evenings ! it did it last night while i was watching a sky recording. But i could also be on another input watching a film and it still does it.

At the moment i cannot work out why 7:55pm.

I know if you connect to the amp via a web browser you can save the settings to a file so i think i will do this, then do a factory reset, and then restore the settings.

Good luck anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom