Issues wallmounting 37" Samsung - wall quality?

Vergil

Standard Member
Reaction score
I think I should start with a hello since I'm new to the forums; while at the same time asking for opinions with an issue I've discovered during the installation of my new 37" Samsung series 5 HDTV... :hiya:

I'm trying to mount the TV fairly high on the wall (which I think might be part of the issue) in my bedroom. So I worked out where I wanted it and marked up six holes for the wallmounting plate (following instructions in the manual). Drilling the lower three went without issue - solid brick which took a significant amount of force to drill but I ran into problems with the upper three.

The wall seems to be clinker (horrible powdery cement) filled at the top, rather than brick all the way up and as such all three of the upper holes are potentially weak. I think it's clinker as the dust is too dark to be breezeblock (that and the house was built long before breezeblock was 'an option'...) Honestly, I have significant doubts about their ability to hold the weight of the wallmount and TV using the provided mounting plugs and bolts. I would be less worried if it was the lower three holes that had this issue, as at least they wouldn't have most of the weight on them.

Now, shining a light in the cleaned upper holes shows what looks like a fairly solid material, and giving it a moderate poke with an awl didn't do much of anything. But after the three lower holes took quite some effort to drill, the top three we like drilling butter. It's how easy they were to drill that has me worried about their ability to hold 18KG of TV and 11KG of wallmounting hardware.

I'm trying to decide whether simply buying an alternative bolt system for the top three holes (such as something designed for breezeblock/clinkerblock) would be OK, or whether I should fill the holes in and write off the wallmounting kit as money wasted in the process of learning a lesson.

I can try to take pictures if needed. :)

Thinking about it, I can shift the wallmount down a bit, using the original 'lower' holes as the new 'upper' ones... but that will mean my plans for space beneath the TV will be scuppered. Still, it's really the only other option as drilling holes elsewhere will likely compromise the integrity of the wall against tensile and shear loading. Don't want the TV falling off and ripping a chunk of wall with it! ;)

Thanks in advance to any who try to help. :)

Hi,

There are ways round this / solutions available.

Post some pictures and collectively we should be able to get your mount securely fixed and at your intended height.

yours

dekodave

OK, pictures. Forgive any failings in quality. Tried to get some shots 'in the hole' but it didn't really work.

The area over a worktop where I want the TV mounted...
wall-angle.jpg

wall.jpg

The wallmount setup...

wallmount.jpg

wallmount-rear.jpg

samsung-clamps2.jpg

samsung-clamps-angle.jpg

Forgive the dust on this shot - doesn't look anywhere near that bad in the earlier shots or in real life... :eek:

Approximately where I'd like the TV (just on it's stand... so up about 12" when mounted on the wall...)

approx-loc.jpg

I hope these are of some help. I'm not going to post the closeup shots of the drilled holes as they are frankly not worth looking at (dark hole in the wallpaper, even with a probelight...)

Any suggestions on an improved mounting system beyond 12x60mm rawlplugs and bolts which come in the wallmount kit? Would they be sufficient on the top holes?

I'll be popping out to chat with a builders merchants I know tomorrow to see if they can offer any suggestions, but they shut early today and I missed them. :(

Thanks again!

Evening,

I'm glad your going to see the builder who will know more than me !

Depending on the walls condition i was going to suggest using resin and or glue with the fixings. And maybe some larger new bolts, some i believe that can expand into awkward holes.

I'm hoping for more posts for more specific advise but hope the builder comes up trumps.

yours

dave

Had a talk with the builders. The chap I spoke to is of the opinion that I ran straight into mortar on the top holes (he said he'd had the same issue once) and did offer a couple of suggestions on mounting. However, dropping the wallmount so that I use the bottom holes (which are OK) as new top holes and drilling a new set of bottom holes might hit the edge of brick and mortar, or go straight into mortar again. Might measure down and test with a very small masonry drill in one place anyway just to see if I do hit mortar again. The hole won't matter a lot as it'll be hidden by the TV. ;)

He gave me some expansion bolts (look like these) for the top three holes and said the 12x60 rawlplugs and bolts should be more than adequate for the lower holes and said that filling the holes with Sika AnchorFix-1 first wouldn't do any harm.

Cheers. :)

OK, I've got the thing mounted. The Sika AnchorFix-1 says that it is gel for 6 minutes and sets hard in 50. More like is gel for one minute and sets like diamond in 5! :rotfl:

So... pictures of the mount. I've not hung the TV on it yet. I'm going to let it have 24 hours to set, then give it a 'pull' test, before hanging the TV on it Monday.

If it's shown no signs of issue with the TV on it after a week, I'll say that it's OK.

mounted2.jpg

mounted3.jpg

Thanks for your assistance, Dave. :)

Well done, looks like you have it mounted in its preferred position.

I'm prepared to bet its going to be solid as a rock, unless that wall needs replacing ...lol

yours

dekodave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom