Issue with Yamaha AV RX-V667 Receiver Post Storm

Pieman1972

Standard Member
Hi all....hopefully someone can advise here. Last Sunday afternoon we were hit by a big storm, just after one thunder / lightening bout the picture went on the Virgin V6 box.

My setup consists of V6 / Bluray / NowTV box / various components connnected to the Yamaha RX-V667 and then a single HDMI out of the Amp into AV2 in the TV. I did a reset on the V6 box but got no picture. Spoke to VM and they tested and found no issues but arranged for an engineer to visit (I have since cancelled the engineer as the VM box is fine).

In parallel I started playing with cables - took the V6 cable out the amp and straight to the TV - nothing. I managed to haul another TV into the room and tried the cable into there - nothing so deduced that the cable from the V6 box to the Receiver was faulty so threw that to one side. However when I connected that to the input on the Receiver I got sound but no picture.....

At this moment I have the V6 box cabled directly to the TV (an older Panasonic Plasma model TX-P50S20B) but has anybody had similar issues in the past? Is it very much unplug everything and work from scratch to try to identify the issue? Can part of an HDMI "service" i.e. video fail?

Thanks for any hints / advice and I'll try and feedback (and steps I've taken).......

dante01

Distinguished Member
A cable box in your area may have suffered a lighting stroke? THe electricity associated with this strike can potentially travel along the wiring from that box going into domestic households. THere should be a surge protector/isolator between your Virgim Media devices and the VN feed? DEspite this, a surge can srill potentially damage devices connected to the feed and the surge and also be conveyed from those devices to other devices connected to your VM STB and or your VM router.

TRy a different source and not the V6. Do other sources still passthrough ypur ABV receiver and is a picture shown on your TV in association with them? If so then the issue is with the V6 STB.

If it is the V^ box then you'd need to awaut the visit by their engineer to have this issue diagnosed and rectified.

If the V^ has no issues unless you are passing the signal through the AV receiver then the issue is with the AV receiver. I can only suggest you initially try different cables between the V^ and the AV receiver as well as from the AV receiver to your TV. Ensure that the video setting on the V6 corresponds with the capabilities of your AV receiver and the TV you are using. SEt the output no higher than 1080p as opposed to 216-p.

ait109

Novice Member
Registered just so that I could comment on this thread.

Similar situation here. Big lighting storm last week and my projector that is connected to my RX-V781 started reporting no input signal. I could still hear the audio from the receiver on the speakers, but no video signal coming through. After much diagnosis, HDMI Input 1 on my projector is broken, and HDMI output 1 on the AVR is damaged. In fact, if any cable is plugged into HDMI output 1, even if the other end is unplugged, neither HDMI output will work properly, regardless of the HDMI output setting.

The receiver was plugged into a surge protector, but the projector on output 1 and TV on output 2 were not. TV still works and projector works on input 2, but now I've lost some video control on my receiver. I assume it not worth repairing.

dante01

Distinguished Member
A surge protector protects devices from electrical mains power supply surges and not surges being conmveyed from one device to another via the cables connecting them.

ait109

Novice Member
A surge protector protects devices from electrical mains power supply surges and not surges being conmveyed from one device to another via the cables connecting them.
Yup. Just mentioning it so others can go check their setup.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom