Issue with using LG Magic Remote with LG TV to control Sonos Playbar

Hey everyone I'm a little late to the party but I received my CX today and tried to make the magic remote to work with my Playbase. I updated to the latest firmware (3.10.44).

I changed sound to optical and deactivated LG sound link.

I then added a univeral control (Sonos) and configured it using the sonos app.

Now vol down and up is working but not mute.

What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Posting reply so that I can follow this thread.

I got my CX yesterday.
Hooked up Sonos PlayBar via optical
Successfully added Sonos Sonos Playbar via the connections wizard but it doesn’t control the Playbar. I have firmware v3.00.70 (updated this am)

I turned off the TV then proceeded to connect the remote to the Playbar via the Sonos app which worked.

Turned on the TV and when I use the volume controls it displays a gray circle with a line and doesn’t control the Playbar.

I’ll try other suggestions on this thread later. Glad to see that I’m not the only one who experienced this issue. I also called LG support and they were no help. They kept telling me that the magic remote does not have IR capabilities.

Ive got it to work now! Yay!
Apparently new firmware does the trick?
I had to type SONOS in the playbar device search box as it was nog in the list, but you can find it.
Only mute doesnt work, but I can do without mute haha.
Btw OLED55GX with firmware 3.10

Hi,
I just purchased a OLED77CXPAU and was having the same dark gray circle with a line. I searched and came across this YouTube video

but it’s not quite exactly like my TV settings but it got me real close. Here’s what I needed to do:

Sound Out was already set to “Optical”
Press the Gear icon on remote
Press All Settings > Connection > Device Connection Settings > Universal Control Settings
Then press Connecting to a New Device > Next > Bluetooth/Soundbar
Choose Sonos from the list of manufacturers

Hope either of these helps. As one person posted, Mute button doesn’t function But that’s fine with me.

I don't think that there is currently a solution, other than using a different remote for volume control.
I struggled but got it to work, without the mute button t
Hi all, I just received my CX this week and have the same issue with not being able to control my Sonos (playbase).

Has anyway had any luck (the CX seems to use a different remote from the B9 Zlin)?

I’ve got it working when the TV is off but obviously that’s pretty useless. I assume the IR turns off on the remote when you turn the TV is turned on and that’s the end of it without an update.
when you have it working when the tv is off, turn the tv on and keep holding that volume up button, or down button (doesn’t seem to matter) just keep engaging the IR as the tv boots up. I did this and finally got it to stay connected every time.

This problem has been largely solved for me on my new Oled 55 CX5LB by one or both of two things. As I had not tried the second thing previously, it might have been what fixed it rather than the first. Or I might have needed to do both. Anyway... First, I carried out a WebOS update on the TV - which previously had 3.10.x and now has 3.11.x. Second, when the drop down list of manufacturers appeared during the remote setup process, rather than select Philips from the names already there, I searched for Sonos. Even though that name was not visible on the list of manufacturer names on screen, it came up with a search. After selecting it, the system finished it all off automatically. My Sonos Playbar now works with my LG Magic Remote EXCEPT for the mute button - maybe LG will fix that in a future update of the firmware?

Try going to SOUND | Additional Settings | LG Sound Sync and turn it off.

Then CONNECTION | Device Connection Settings | and follow the prompts to select sound bar, and Optical and SONOS

My Model is oled77cxaua

I got sound adjustment and mute working.

🤙🏼

Hi,

my 55CX9LA worked with my Sonos Arc like a charm and I never had a problem, but now I can‘t control the the Sonos volume with my magic remote anymore. As others described here before only when TV is switched off, then it control the volume of the Sonos with the magic remote, I believe that this stopped working with a WebOS update. WebOS is now 5.2.0-290904, firmware is 3.21.16.

Has somebody seen this problem coming back or recently as new problem?

Did LG break this in another update? I've tried everything I can find on AVForums, reddit, LG support and several other places but I am unable to connect my LG GX magic remote to the Playbar. I see that the volume indicator changes, no longer showing the actual value, and it registers inputs from the remote, but nothing is passed to the Playbar.

Firmware version 03.23.06 on the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom