Question Issue with TiVo Box

eric_the_red

Standard Member
Hi all would really appreciate any help with a strange problem that makes no sense to me. I have a TiVo box in the lounge and basic V box in a back room via coax cable, other week decided to swap them round. The basic V box works fine in the lounge, however, the TiVo box won't work in the other room, I can get all the menus, view programmes I've taped but get no picture or sound. I did receive about 2 mins of both picture and sound and then nothing. It is cabled via hdmi over Ethernet in the back room and I've swapped cables around but nothing, I switch the boxes back and they both work fine, it really makes no sense and is driving me mad. Only difference between 2 rooms is lounge has direct hdmi and back room is cabled via hdmi via Ethernet - does the TiVo not work with this ?? Any help / tips would be really appreciated
Thanks

mike7

Distinguished Member
Are you actually paying for a service in two rooms. Virgin boxes run on the cable that comes from their internal termination box not Ethernet or hdmi. This cable may be 'split' to run two boxes.

A reason why your swop might not work is that boxes are sensitive to signal level. When I had two boxes the old upstairs Virgin HD box needed a lower signal and the installer put in an attenuator, whereas the newer TiVo box needed a higher signal. The only way you can balance the signal to work for both is for the VM installer to adjust the level of signal coming into your home. This is done at the nearest street junction box.

eric_the_red

Standard Member
Hi thanks for reply. Yes I pay for both and this works if I connect the TiVo directly via the HDMI and the v+ box via the HDMI extender both boxes work fine. Problem only happens when I connect the TiVo via the neet box

mike7

Distinguished Member
Guess the easy answer is to get VM in to sort it out. If you have not changed any wiring it should not cost anything to rectify. Did VM install the NEET box. They don't like you connecting anything 'unauthorised' directly to their wiring.

Last edited:

metalguru

Virgin won't have installed a neet box or any other type of interface, they will only connect using their own rg6 or rg59 cable, bad installers will sometimes use customers existing sky cable or some other self installed cheap cable, as such this can cause problems with the tivo

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
There could be a compatibility issue with the NEET and Tivo, HDMI has oddities that can cause compatibility problems.

eric_the_red

Standard Member
Thanks all for your input. I installed the neet / HDMI extender myself and to be honest things do point to an issue with it as the TiVo box works fine using a straight HDMI and this intermittent fault only happens when I introduce the neet box but what I can't understand is why it's absolutely fine using the v+ box!!!! Was just hoping that someone else out there may have experienced the same problem, I'm waiting for another call / visit from virgin engineer

metalguru

When originally installed I presume it was connected using the Rg6 white cable, if so the engineer will just tell you to disconnect from the neet or maybe he will cable it up for you, but reading between the lines it's probably in an inaccessible place

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom