Issue with Sky Q Wifi

jonbunk

Standard Member
Hi, hope this is the right forum and would appreciate any help or guidance. It might be you have also have a much simpler solution to resolve primary issue of WiFi which works all round. Thank you

Current Sky Products
  • Sky Broadband Superfast
  • 1 x Sky Q Box - hard wired connection (kitchen)
  • 3 x Sky Minis - wifi connection (bedroom, lounge, dinining room - no simple known option to hard wire)
  • 3 x Sky Boosters
  • 1 x Sky Hub (under stairs cupboard - cannot be moved as all wiring returns here as a hub)
  • Wired minimum download Speed 79 Mb/s, average upload speed 20 Mb/s
  • WiFi speed when good (50% time): download 22 - 55 Mb/s, upload 5-18 Mb/s
  • WiFi speed when poor (50% time): download 0.3 - 4 Mb/S, upload 1.7 - 5.9 Mb/s
Core issues to resolve
1. Poor and intermittant WiFi - frequent drop outs 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz or very low download/upload

2. Laptop used in a room for work meetings over WiFi - connection very poor

Potential Solutions
1. Improve WiFI
  • Replace Sky Hub with 3rd party router (under stairs) and a 3rd party modem (under stairs) and install Ubiquiti AP AC Pro x 3 wired throughout the house to serve as WiFi transmitter
Q. Would this render the Sky Mini's unusable? What are the solutions to consider?
  • Potential to hard wire 3 Sky Minis
    • Issue: - v. high cost £1k+, significant cosmetic repair in/outside house diverting existing wiring
  • Powerline Adapters: Devolo Magic 2 WiFi. Plug Sky Minis into ethernet on Powerline Adapters
    • Would this work and are these the best Powerline Adapters to get?
    • Where would main powerline adapter be best to start and why - plug into 3rd party router under stairs or hard wired Sky Q box in kitchen?
    • Would WiFi on Poerline Adapters need to be turned off or ok to use as further booster for house
Q. Would this resolve Laptop issue with if much better WiFi. Any further solutions to consider?
  • Potential to hard wire in the room laptop used
    • Issue: - v. high cost £1k+, significant cosmetic repair in/outside house diverting existing wiring
  • Powerline Adapters: Devolo Magic 2 WiFi. Plug laptop into ethernet on Powerline Adapte
  • I assume main powerline adapter plugs into 3rd party router under stairs?
  • Would WiFi on Powerline Adapter need to be turned off or ok to use as further booster for house

kevjp

I was suffering poor wifi after putting in sky q. When I wired the minis and Q box up instead of using wifi then things started to work a lot better again. Disabled wifi on the sky boxes.

bingodisco

Hi, hope this is the right forum and would appreciate any help or guidance. It might be you have also have a much simpler solution to resolve primary issue of WiFi which works all round. Thank you

Current Sky Products
  • Sky Broadband Superfast
  • 1 x Sky Q Box - hard wired connection (kitchen)
  • 3 x Sky Minis - wifi connection (bedroom, lounge, dinining room - no simple known option to hard wire)
  • 3 x Sky Boosters
  • 1 x Sky Hub (under stairs cupboard - cannot be moved as all wiring returns here as a hub)
  • Wired minimum download Speed 79 Mb/s, average upload speed 20 Mb/s
  • WiFi speed when good (50% time): download 22 - 55 Mb/s, upload 5-18 Mb/s
  • WiFi speed when poor (50% time): download 0.3 - 4 Mb/S, upload 1.7 - 5.9 Mb/s
Core issues to resolve
1. Poor and intermittant WiFi - frequent drop outs 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz or very low download/upload

2. Laptop used in a room for work meetings over WiFi - connection very poor

Potential Solutions
1. Improve WiFI
  • Replace Sky Hub with 3rd party router (under stairs) and a 3rd party modem (under stairs) and install Ubiquiti AP AC Pro x 3 wired throughout the house to serve as WiFi transmitter
Q. Would this render the Sky Mini's unusable? What are the solutions to consider?
  • Potential to hard wire 3 Sky Minis
  • Powerline Adapters: Devolo Magic 2 WiFi. Plug Sky Minis into ethernet on Powerline Adapters
    • Where would main powerline adapter be best to start and why - plug into 3rd party router under stairs or hard wired Sky Q box in kitchen?
    • Would WiFi on Poerline Adapters need to be turned off or ok to use as further booster for house
Q. Would this resolve Laptop issue with if much better WiFi. Any further solutions to consider?
  • Potential to hard wire in the room laptop used
  • Powerline Adapters: Devolo Magic 2 WiFi. Plug laptop into ethernet on Powerline Adapte
  • I assume main powerline adapter plugs into 3rd party router under stairs?
  • Would WiFi on Powerline Adapter need to be turned off or ok to use as further booster for house

Having your broadband hub in a cupboard is definitely going to restrict the WiFi signal around your house so getting Powerline adapters is a good idea.
I have similar Sky Broadband Superfast speeds as you - 74Mbps download/20Mbps upload and I get those speeds on WiFi downstairs where my Sky Hub is - on an open table in the corner of a room. Upstairs I get about 68 down and 17 up so it's very good for general use.
My home office is right at the back of the house upstairs so to get a solid connection there I use TP-link powerline adapters. One plugs into a socket by the Hub, then I run an ethernet cable from the hub to to powerline adaptor. The second adaptor is plugged into a mains socket in my office and an ethernet cable run from it to my laptop. With this configuration I get a solid 74Mbps download and 20Mbps upload - virtually identical to what's coming straight into the router downstairs.
I'd definitely suggest you get some Powerline adapters - the Devolo Magic 2 looks good as you can then use them to improve your WiFi around the house as well as connecting the Sky Mini boxes directly to the network via ethernet. If you turn WiFi off on all the Sky Q boxes (minis and the main one) once they're connected via ethernet you shouldn't have any WiFi conflict issues.
Might be worth asking on the Sky Community forums about the Devolo adapters specifically as I don't own them personally, and Sky Q is quirky at the best of times with other devices.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
My Setup (all works a treat)

Ubiquiti 8 Port POE switch
Ubiquiti Gateway
Ubiquiti Cloud Controller
Virgin Media Hub Fibre BB to the door (Modem Mode only so all of the above can utilize)
Ubiquiti Nano AP x 2 (wired over POE to the 8 Port Switch) - One AP at each end of the house (meshed for device roaming)
Ubiquiti Outdoor Mesh AP (Wired over POE & mounted on the side of the garage wall to broadcast meshed WiFi to the garage & garden)
SkyQ Main Box (1TB UHD) - Lounge (Hardwired into the 8 Port Switch)
Sky Mini box - Office upstairs directly above the Lounge, conx over Sky'sQ Mesh.

Remember, that the SkyQ Main > SkyQ Mini conx does not utilize the Ubiquiti WiFi, but instead uses it's own 5Ghz WiFi mesh on a specific channel (52 or something similar I believe). So with this in mind, keep the AP WiFi mesh away from that channel.

Had this setup since mid-year 2020 and none of it has missed a beat. All devices have 100% signal strength connectivity to the AP WiFi mesh and both SkyQ Main & Mini are happy as Larry talking to each other.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom