Issue with PS5 and LG OLED black level settings: AUTO/AUTO is washed out

vinigreti

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I have a PS5 and an LG OLED (65CX). If I leave the black level setting on auto for both PS5 and TV (which is what everyone recommends) the image is super washed out. If I leave the setting on AUTO/FULL on PS5 and LOW on LG TV then everything looks great. The blacks are not crushed, the image looks like it should.

This combination shouldn't be working right because effectively the PS5 is set to FULL and TV set to LOW. When the right combination should be FULL/HIGH or LIMITED/LOW. But all these combos are washed out for me.

As far as other settings I have the TV in GAME mode, it's set up with HGIG and the HDR on PS5 is calibrated. So everything else is set up right.

Is anyone else with an LG OLED noticing this going on? Should I keep this wrong combo of FULL/LOW if it's the right looking one?

Last edited:
Try this, leave TV on auto setting.

And on PS5 set 4K transfer rate to -1, that will change the video output from RGB to YUV which has no black level setting.

Also TV gamma should be on 2.2/medium.

See how the YUV output looks to you because that should be correct in black levels.

Try this, leave TV on auto setting.

And on PS5 set 4K transfer rate to -1, that will change the video output from RGB to YUV which has no black level setting.

Also TV gamma should be on 2.2/medium.

See how the YUV output looks to you because that should be correct in black levels.

Hi

Just tried that and it worked for the washed out issue but unfortunately now I can't use 120hz and some other features.

Last edited:
Hi

Just tried that and it worked! Fixed the issue. Now AUTO looks right and the High setting washes it out.

Thanks for the suggestion! Is this a PS5 specific issue that you know of?

RGB Low/Limited on both PS5 and TV should be the same as YUV but if they aren't then something is going wrong somewhere but I couldn't tell you why, perhaps its a PS5 specific bug.

The solution for me was not to set the black levels to low/limited, but to disable and re-enable HDMI Ultra Deep Color while the PS5 is connected and active. This seems to fix any buggy HDMI handshake between the PS5 and C1, and allows you to leave all black-level settings on full/auto.

This should let you get full black level support without the downsides that come with the limited options.

I have an LG B9 and I had a similar issue with the PS5 using its Auto setting with the TV which had a default Black setting of Low. I found out that the PS5 was forcing Full (High) RGB which caused the screen to look too dark and manually changing the PS5 setting from Auto to Limited (Low) fixed this. This is when using the HDMI icon set to Gaming/Console (which was the default setting).

If I change the HDMI icon for the PS5 from Gaming/Console to PC then this enables an Auto setting for Black on the TV (which oddly isn't available otherwise) and this then works with the PS5's Auto setting to give the correct Black levels (presumably because both devices are forcing the Full/High setting)?

The reason for the issue is because you need to match Limited on the PS5 with Low Black on the TV or Full on the PS5 with High Black on the TV. A mismatch of these settings will result in crushed or washed out blacks.

Not sure if the incorrect Auto setting on the PS5 is a bug or not? It should be using Limited RGB on my TV with the HDMI icon set to its default Gaming/Console but for whatever reason it forces Full/High, which combined with the TV's default Low Black setting is the reason for the incorrect black levels.

Is this the same on the B/CX and B/C1 range of TVs from LG?

You can check which is being used by going to the PS5 when set to Auto with the TV Black set to Low (not Auto!) and then selecting Full or Limited. If the black levels change when forcing Full then the PS5 is automatically forcing Limited (Low) blacks (which would be correct for the TV's Black setting of Low). If the black levels change when forcing Limited then the PS5 is automatically forcing Full (High) blacks, which is what happens on my B9.

Sorry bumping an old thread but none of the solutions here ultimately worked. The image I'm getting is still washed out unless I force a mismatch in black levels to PS5 set to HIGH and TV set to LOW. It crushes blacks a little but looks much better than the washed out look I get from AUTO/AUTO or LOW/LIMITED.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Sorry bumping an old thread but none of the solutions here ultimately worked. The image I'm getting is still washed out unless I force a mismatch in black levels to PS5 set to HIGH and TV set to LOW. It crushes blacks a little but looks much better than the washed out look I get from AUTO/AUTO or LOW/LIMITED.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

You said it looked fine with outputting YUV via the 4K transfer rate at -1, why not try that again.

You said it somehow lost 120hz support when doing that which is very unusual as PS5 can only output YUV at 4K 120hz (it has no RGB support at this resolution/refresh).

Maybe firmware updates from Sony since you first posted has resolved it or a factory reset of the console is worth a try as something must be wrong with either your console or the TV (if other devices on TV are fine then its likely the console).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom