Issue with no sound from left speaker on Onkyo amp

Mfnd1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an Onkyo AV receiver which has worked perfectly for years. However in recent weeks every few days (without any noticeable pattern) when switched on I can’t get any sound out of the front left speaker. All other speakers work fine. The only way I can get the sound back through the speaker is to slowly turn the volume up until almost max which seems to get the sound coming through again by blasting it and then turn the volume back down. It will then work fine for another few days before having to repeat. Any ideas what may cause this? Not sure if it’s the speaker or amp at fault but wanted an idea where to start looking for a fix. I have a pair of Yamaha NS10m speakers in the front channels, no sound comes out of either the woofer or tweeter And I’ve tried a mix of inputs (HDMI and phono) so believe it’s the amp/speaker rather than input device.

Many thanks.

This sound like an issue with speaker relay, or rather its contacts. Sound from the amplifier circuit goes through one, double input relay. Sometimes one of the contact gets a bit dirty allowing only high current to flow through.

Many thanks. By contacts do you mean the sockets that the speaker wires screw into at the back? If so can they just be cleaned with a pipe cleaner etc or does it need taking apart to clean? Thanks again.

You could start be swapping the left and right speaker and cables over and see if the issue migrates to the other side. If not then at least you know it relates to the amp.

Many thanks. By contacts do you mean the sockets that the speaker wires screw into at the back? If so can they just be cleaned with a pipe cleaner etc or does it need taking apart to clean? Thanks again.
See photos below. Usually contact tips get a bit dirty after few years of use.

Attachments

• CCCD4860-E10F-42F1-8754-8123EF0D77E5.png
    CCCD4860-E10F-42F1-8754-8123EF0D77E5.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 6E03CDA7-B170-448E-A8C5-D0607502F21A.jpeg
    6E03CDA7-B170-448E-A8C5-D0607502F21A.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 252
thanks Again, I did try a different speaker and cable when the issue started however as it seems a little random when the issue happens I couldn’t really tell as it worked fine on the New speaker-but it also does 90% of the time on the existing speaker. If cleaning doesn’t fix the issue I’ll try a different speaker for a couple of weeks to see.

thanks for the photos, the back of this amp is the older type with the plastic twist which you tighten over the bare wire which goes through the hole in the connector (if that makes sense!). I’ll giv I a good clean with a pipe cleaner and see if that stops the issue from occurring.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom