Question Issue with LG TV and Juddering 30 FPS PS4 game

wamid123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Could someone please watch the video I have attached to this thread to try and find out why the picture does this on my LG TV. I have no idea what it could be. The refresh rate for the TV I am playing on his 60hz and the game is running at 30FPS I believe. I am not sure if the FPS of the game I'm playing is the reason but whenever I play any game that runs at 60 FPS , it does not judder like this. I believe after lengthy research this is called JUDDER. Any help would be great as I am at a loss here, completely clueless.

I am playing on a standard PS4, running the game Dark Souls 3:Fire Fades edition.

Thanks guys.

Will

Cannot upload a video so all I can describe it as my character in the game vibrating. If someone could suggest a way round this that would be great. Only way I can think is to email it personally or send on something like discord without converting the file. Thank ou

Have you selected game mode on the tv?

What's the model number of the tv?

I have mate. I've messed around with all the TV settings like TV judder, game mode... Everything the TV has to offer. Its an LG TV. Model number : 43UN74006LB. Strange thing is I never had this problem of juddering on my old TV.

Old tv: SAMSUNG UE43TU7100KXXU 43" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV​

So confused. To describe juttering when I'm playing my video game on ps4 its not like it lags, like a frame drop, it's like the character vibrates when I walk slowly. Like I say I can send a video of it but not on this forum. It won't let me as the file is an mp4 file. Cheers for posting though pal, much appreciated.

Like I say I can send a video of it but not on this forum. It won't let me as the file is an mp4 file

Upload it to YouTube ?

Is your issue similar to the one in this thread ?

Unsure if its the low fps stutter/judder issue, the UN7300 which should be similar to the UN7400 has a good low fps stutter score on rtings due to the panels slow response time, its near identical to the Samsung TV the OP had prior.

If you can try testing other 30fps games that have cameras you can control see if those judder too, maybe it's something specific to this game ?

Thank you for the responses so far. Mike j it does not appear to be the same issue as the thread you linked in this one. I have uploaded the video to YouTube. Here is the link.

I have tried testing other 30 fps games next010 like monster hunter and the same thing happens on there. The Samsung TV is very similar and that's why I'm so confused.

Yeah I see what you mean that is odd, not really sure what that is.

Only other suggestion I can make is this.
  • Change HDMI cable PS4 uses.
  • Change to another HDMI port on the TV and enable Ultra HD Deep Colour.
  • Select ISF Expert Bright Room as preset.
  • Go to the WebOS home screen/input manager and set the HDMI input label to PC.
  • In PS4 video settings set RGB range to Low/Limited.

This will activate a low latency mode over the ISF Expert Bright room preset, now try the PS4 and see if it behaves any differently. If not then I'm out of ideas, I'd consider returning the TV, perhaps its faulty.

Ive got two LG TV'S, both a year old, both do the same thing. I've changed the HDMI cables and nothing. It also does this on my 19 inch Panasonic TV. It makes me think if it isn't the TV but what it is I have no idea. I will try the things you have suggested and let you know how I get on but I am doubtful.
Thank you next 010.

Yep - that looks really odd. I've had my PS3 and PS4 connected to a variety of TVs covering all the different technologies over the years (LCD, plasma, OLED and even CRT) and, while I have seen judder with some of these in certain low framerate games (similar to that shown in the other thread I linked to above), I've never seen anything like the behaviour shown in your example.

I think you're right in that it doesn't look similar to the usual low-framerate issue. If it was, in my experience you would see double-imaging of anything with a vertical edge (eg. building edges, lamp-posts etc) whenever you pan round, but the background in your video seems to be relatively unaffected - the problem seems to be associated with movement of the character's legs.

If you never had this problem with your old Samsung TV, then that proves it's not an issue with the game itself or console and probably not the HDMI cable, so it's hard to know what to suggest, especially if you've already tried playing with the TV's settings and gaming both with and without game mode. The usual suggestions for any TV-troubleshooting would be to check for the latest TV firmware and do a factory reset to start with. I can't see it helping in this case, but you've got nothing to lose and it would be the first thing any helpline would suggest anyway. Resetting the TV and starting from default settings can sometimes be helpful when trouble-shooting.

Have you tried playing with the motion interpolation settings ? It's not normally advised for gaming as it introduces latency/lag (it's usually disabled in game mode as a result) but lag doesn't tend to be an issue with a lot of the games I play and I found in the past that turning it on a low setting can sometimes smooth out motion issues for any problematic games. It could equally make things worse, but it's worth experimenting.

I would post in the LG TVs Forum to see if anyone else is having gaming issues with your TV.

Thank you for the replies guys. Much appreciated. I will try what you have suggested.

If it happens on LG and Panasonic TV's then it may be the PS4 that is the problem.

Why the Samsung is not affected I do now know, perhaps some setting on it was masking the issue.

Yep - that looks really odd. I've had my PS3 and PS4 connected to a variety of TVs covering all the different technologies over the years (LCD, plasma, OLED and even CRT) and, while I have seen judder with some of these in certain low framerate games (similar to that shown in the other thread I linked to above), I've never seen anything like the behaviour shown in your example.

I think you're right in that it doesn't look similar to the usual low-framerate issue. If it was, in my experience you would see double-imaging of anything with a vertical edge (eg. building edges, lamp-posts etc) whenever you pan round, but the background in your video seems to be relatively unaffected - the problem seems to be associated with movement of the character's legs.

If you never had this problem with your old Samsung TV, then that proves it's not an issue with the game itself or console and probably not the HDMI cable, so it's hard to know what to suggest, especially if you've already tried playing with the TV's settings and gaming both with and without game mode. The usual suggestions for any TV-troubleshooting would be to check for the latest TV firmware and do a factory reset to start with. I can't see it helping in this case, but you've got nothing to lose and it would be the first thing any helpline would suggest anyway. Resetting the TV and starting from default settings can sometimes be helpful when trouble-shooting.

Have you tried playing with the motion interpolation settings ? It's not normally advised for gaming as it introduces latency/lag (it's usually disabled in game mode as a result) but lag doesn't tend to be an issue with a lot of the games I play and I found in the past that turning it on a low setting can sometimes smooth out motion issues for any problematic games. It could equally make things worse, but it's worth experimenting.

I would post in the LG TVs Forum to see if anyone else is having gaming issues with your TV.
Hello mikej, I have that exact problem you mention at first. Double images in all the background things. I have already tried all my TV (LG 32LM3600PLA) and monitor (MSI) settings and nothing works. My PS4 just got cleaned 2 days ago and with new thermal paste. I have been almost 2 years searching for a solution and nothing has appeared. Please, if you know how solve this, help me, I would be very thankful, havent played videogames since long ago because of this issue. Thanks and sorry for the bad english.

Hello mikej, I have that exact problem you mention at first. Double images in all the background things. I have already tried all my TV (LG 32LM3600PLA) and monitor (MSI) settings and nothing works. My PS4 just got cleaned 2 days ago and with new thermal paste. I have been almost 2 years searching for a solution and nothing has appeared. Please, if you know how solve this, help me, I would be very thankful, havent played videogames since long ago because of this issue. Thanks and sorry for the bad english.
Hi. The LM6300 (presuming that's the one you mean ?) is a fairly low-end TV, so I wouldn't have expected it to be great for gaming. I've got a similar 28" LG model elsewhere in the house although I've never gamed on it. I would have thought your monitor would be better for gaming but that will probably depend on the specs.

I tend to find that certain games are worse than others. I currently play PS4 games on an OLED with IFC (Panasonic's motion interpolation) set to 'Low' and hardly ever notice any issues these days, although this may be down to the games I play not being as problematic or the fact that I've just got used to it after all these years !

Motion interpolation isn't a miracle cure though - all it's doing is masking the problem rather than curing it and in certain circumstances it can make things worse. Using motion interpolation is also generally not actually a good idea for gaming due to the resulting increase in lag but lag doesn't seem to be an issue in many of the games I play, however, when playing games like COD online, I tend to turn it off or use Game mode.

I think the bottom line is that 30fps is essentially a pretty poor framerate for gaming - I'd certainly be interested to see if there are similar issues when gaming at 4K@60 on a PS5.

Have you tried experimenting with the video/output settings on the PS4 ? There are some suggestions in the comments above.

Hi. The LM6300 (presuming that's the one you mean ?) is a fairly low-end TV, so I wouldn't have expected it to be great for gaming. I've got a similar 28" LG model elsewhere in the house although I've never gamed on it. I would have thought your monitor would be better for gaming but that will probably depend on the specs.

I tend to find that certain games are worse than others. I currently play PS4 games on an OLED with IFC (Panasonic's motion interpolation) set to 'Low' and hardly ever notice any issues these days, although this may be down to the games I play not being as problematic or the fact that I've just got used to it after all these years !

Motion interpolation isn't a miracle cure though - all it's doing is masking the problem rather than curing it and in certain circumstances it can make things worse. Using motion interpolation is also generally not actually a good idea for gaming due to the resulting increase in lag but lag doesn't seem to be an issue in many of the games I play, however, when playing games like COD online, I tend to turn it off or use Game mode.

I think the bottom line is that 30fps is essentially a pretty poor framerate for gaming - I'd certainly be interested to see if there are similar issues when gaming at 4K@60 on a PS5.

Have you tried experimenting with the video/output settings on the PS4 ? There are some suggestions in the comments above.
Yes, I already tried every option possible, even I reset the PS4 and nothing worked, the problem is I can't find something like "motion interpolation" or "trumotion" in the image settings, only motion eye care which I already tried. Also, the Real Cinema option is greyed out, I dont know why.

Yes, I already tried every option possible, even I reset the PS4 and nothing worked, the problem is I can't find something like "motion interpolation" or "trumotion" in the image settings, only motion eye care which I already tried. Also, the Real Cinema option is greyed out, I dont know why.
Hey Bro, i have the same problem on same console on same TV! LM6300 is not made for play games... led Matrix IS awefull for gaming, changing everithing to Game mode It Will offer you 30-50ms responde time input lag that IS horrible numbers for play even offline... The problem IS our TV IS made for only watching TV in the kitchen, not Serfing web, neither playing games. In 2019 buyed It for 450 euro... So, It does not seems low end price for 32" tv... Never more Will buy LG, or Sony o Samsung or Xiaomi/Realme... Never LG! Awefull quality, awefull price, awefull techspecs, awefull os, awefull limits all around, awefull

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom