Issue with HDMI splitter

gezr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched the forums so hopefully this isn't already covered.

I have set up magic eye with HDMI. Everything works great even the control.

The only issue is when the sky box is turned off and then on again the receiving new tv cannot find the signal. If I take the power out and in the NEET HDMI splitter then bingo signal is back.

Any ideas?

Gerard

Hi Gerard, welcome to AVF, and thanks for looking round first.
The "magic eye" works only with a system using an aerial-type cable from the Sky receiver's RF2 Out socket.
How have you fixed the remote control with an HDMI system?
Sky receivers are notoriously erratic when used with HDMI splitters so you've been fortunate to get the channel through at all.

I have the HDMI out from the sky HD box going to a HDMI splitter (NEET). One outlet from the splitter goes to my front room TV (where the box is) and the other outlet to the loft which is is then converted to Cat 6 cable. It is then converted back to HDMI before input to a TV in the kitchen. Running with all this is a coax cable form the RF out of the sky HD box to a magic eye at the kitchen TV.

As I said everything works fine until I put the sky box on stand by and then switch on again. Then the kitchen TV cannot find a signal. Once I unplug the power to the HDMI splitter and put it in again the signal is there.

A bit strange and annoying. The only thing I haven't done is power the converter at the kitchen end (Cat 6 to HDMI) as the picture is fine so I did not believe it was necessary.

So what then does the "Magic Eye" in the thread title refer to?

As Logi stated, "Sky receivers are notoriously erratic when used with HDMI splitters so you've been fortunate to get the channel through at all. "

Nothing to do with Magic Eye.

Solution - stop turning the Sky HD box off. Obviously the HDMI splitter requires its HDMI input to be permanently active for it to split that one input to two outputs. Once you disable then re-enable the HDMI input (by switching the box off and back on again) you are breaking this permanent input, and the splitter needs rebooting also.

If you don't want to have to reboot the splitter, stop rebooting the Sky box.

Yes sorry I was using magic eye as a general term for sending sky elsewhere.

I could just leave the sky box on but like most people I am fairly fastidious at turning things off, however I expect there may not be much difference in energy demands between stand-by and on.

I could just leave the sky box on but like most people I am fairly fastidious at turning things off

...then make sure you turn the splitter off each time you turn the Sky box off - saving double the electricity! And don't turn the splitter back on until after you have turned the Sky box back on.

I was using magic eye as a general term for sending sky elsewhere.
OK - it's not for that, sending the channel one way, it's for sending the remote control back the other way.
I'll change the thread header to clarify that.

For anyone interested I powered the converter back to HDMI from Cat 6 and it now has no issues picking up the signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom