Issue with Cambridge Audio Sub

Monkeytrumpet

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just set up my 5.1.2 atmos setup with a denon 2700H, cambridge audio minx surrounds and a minx 301 sub. Atmos works brilliantly, but the issue is the sub doesn't appear to 'kick in'. There is no audio at all from the sub, but if I pull the audio plug and put it back in, which probably isn't great for it, you get the typical buzz and thump of the plug connecting, and then the sub works as it should until next time. Crossover is set to 200, volume set to mid position.

Any ideas of what could be causing it? I'm at a loss!

Phil

Hi all,

I have just set up my 5.1.2 atmos setup with a denon 2700H, cambridge audio minx surrounds and a minx 301 sub. Atmos works brilliantly, but the issue is the sub doesn't appear to 'kick in'. There is no audio at all from the sub, but if I pull the audio plug and put it back in, which probably isn't great for it, you get the typical buzz and thump of the plug connecting, and then the sub works as it should until next time. Crossover is set to 200, volume set to mid position.

Any ideas of what could be causing it? I'm at a loss!

Phil

Have you tried the Standby feature set to "Force On" so the sub won´t go to sleep?

Cambridge-Minx-X301-Blanc_D_1200.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried both ways, it's currently set to always on, same effect either way

Ok. To be sure the cable is connected to L (LFE/SUB) and specifically Line IN . See my earlier post and the picture i have edited it (red circle). On Denon side cable to Pre Out Sub 1. Make sure both pushed till bottom as they bit stiff usually.

You do get test tones for the sub when you ran Audussey?

Can you check from the menu two things and post what you have now. "Subwoofer level" probably under speaker levels (example -6db) and "Subwoofer distance" under speaker distances, if you have the sub at front with the LCR what is distance set for speakers aswell? You should ideally have the subwoofer showing further distance than speakers due to delay of DSP, if the distance is very short then there is issue..

The sub connection is definitely in the LFE connection, the same as the one circled. There were definitely test tones on the sub in audyssey set up. I've just run it again, and the sub is coming up at 4.38m, see attached photo.

The sub is connected to pre-out 2, but this one is indicated 'subwoofer'?? could this be the problem?

20211223_154113.jpg
20211223_153020.jpg

No it shouldn`t be problem, there is two preouts for sub so the 1 works the same. It`s like internal y-cable for the 1&2 so it shouldn´t matter which you use. The subwoofer distance is normal, no issue there. Sub shouldn´t go to sleep if you have the power on all time, speaker sizes are set small for all, subwoofer mode lfe.. Should work.

What is the "subwoofer level" figure if you check it from menu? Like below:
3e288828-38bb-4e5c-85ed-f6e41f0a2df3-jpeg.1332532

The sub level is set to +1.5, and still is very temperamental, most of the time it does not wake up.View attachment 1628623

The subwoofer gain (volume) knob is set too low if you get +1,5db for SW level. Turn the knob 2hours higher and run setup. It should come back around -8db to -4db roughly.

ok great, I'll give that a go, it is set to just above mid way at the moment though, surprising a sub of this standard doesn't work correctly at that level? I've also ordered new cables to see if that helps too, any little helps, right?

ok great, I'll give that a go, it is set to just above mid way at the moment though, surprising a sub of this standard doesn't work correctly at that level? I've also ordered new cables to see if that helps too, any little helps, right?

Usually the subwoofer cable either works or not at all so i doubt the issue is there.

The gain structure can be quite different in many brands. Not sure how large room you have with openings, X301 is rather small with 8" driver.

Do only 3 mic placement with Audussey and re-check that the subwoofer level doesn´t go to -12db!

Right, Adjusted the gain on the sub, re-ran audyssey and the level changed to -4. While in the middle watching last night the sub went to sleep again. I'm starting to wonder if there is an issue with the sub?

Right, Adjusted the gain on the sub, re-ran audyssey and the level changed to -4. While in the middle watching last night the sub went to sleep again. I'm starting to wonder if there is an issue with the sub?
Damn! It seems to have some issue if you really have the power always on and not Auto and not any of these changes have helped. Well it´s very cheap sub from speaker manufacturer.

New better one would cost around ~350-400£ which would give you quite nice upgrade. BK Gemini II could be small upgrade too if tight on money, 255£.

Here few cheaper BK new grade-b.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom