Issue with blu-ray playback

grazzy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'll ask anyway.

Basically, I've got a normal PC with a ATI Radeon 5870 graphics card in it, connecting to a normal pc display via DVI, and also currently connecting via HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver. Then from the receiver to the TV.

Since plugging in the receiver, I've had numerous problems with playback of blu-ray films, with Cyberlink Power DVD 11 crashing almost every time I try and play a film, and TMT 5 not even managing to playback anything without it appearing to be on fast forward and sounding like someone is scratching a stick of chalk to a blackboard. The picture seems good, but its basically too fast and the audio is non-existent.

Hardware acceleration isn't working at all with Power DVD 11 connected to the receiever. It will load a blu-ray film and show a percentage bar, and then it will stop at 99% and crash.

Sad as this may sound, but I've been using Justin Bieber: Never Say Never on blu-ray as a test for my system. It's encoded in DTS-HD Master Audio I believe, and reviews have said the sound quality is excellent. I've listened to it, both on DTS and DTS-HD and there is no difference whatsoever. They sound exactly the same.

On Cyberlink its sending the data to my receiver as high-definition audio, appearing at around 1500kbps on the computer, outputting it as compressed.

When I unplugg the receiver and do the same just to the TV, its outputting at near 6,000kbps and it changes up and down.

The receiver is fairly new and I'm very tempted to take it back as its caused me nothing my problems. I can play pretty much anything I want through Thekmplayer, but its not using any of the decoding on the receiver itself.

Sorry for the rant and life-story, but any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I've included my pc specs below, along with drivers etc.

i7 920 D0 @ 2.66ghz
6gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz ram
ATI Radeon 5870 1gb
Asus Xonar D2x
1TB Western Digital HD.

ATI Driver - 11.5
Currently running the realtek ati audio hdmi driver from the realtek website.
Using Power DVD 11 and TMT 5, both trial version.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom