Israeli teams in Europe

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't being started as a political thread, but I read a comment in a paper today that I have believed in for ages.

All the chat about Liverpool not wanting to play Maccabi Haifa because Israel are at war with their neighbours in the Middle East!!

Why are they playing in European competitions?

Isn't it time that UEFA threw them out as they always have bother with their fixtures - and lets be honest, it looks like its going to continue for the forseeable future.

Either that or have them play home games in a different country! :suicide:

But the bottom line is that they AREN'T EUROPEANS.

I've always wondered about that as well. They are also allowed in the Eurovision song contest....... mind you maybe that's their punishment ;)

Because they were a member of the AFC, the Asian confederation. But a few countries refused to play them (both in club and national football) and they got kicked out, than they had to play in Oceania for a while. Later they even got kicked out there. All other confederations refused their membership as well and they were just welcome in Europe.

So basically, everyone hates Isreal and Europe was the only place that would have them - because no-one else would.

Since this is not a political thread, I won't make any more comments.:smashin: But I don't want them here either.

Thanks button missing again!

Cheers and agree wholeheartedly with both SOK and Istanbul Kop.

Istanbul_Kop said:
Because they were a member of the AFC, the Asian confederation. But a few countries refused to play them (both in club and national football) and they got kicked out, than they had to play in Oceania for a while. Later they even got kicked out there. All other confederations refused their membership as well and they were just welcome in Europe.

So basically, everyone hates Isreal and Europe was the only place that would have them - because no-one else would.

Since this is not a political thread, I won't make any more comments.:smashin: But I don't want them here either.

Well my logic would be that they should be kicked out of UEFA as well as they are causing constant dilemma's. If they act in a certain way as a nation and have no friends in the world (except for US & UK) then its their own fault and have to live with the consequences. They can have their own little league and end up playing no outside teams.

I can't believe that the G14 and in fact ALL other clubs don't force UEFA to kick them out as this problem of where to play Israeli teams seems to come up EVERY year.

SOK said:
But the bottom line is that they AREN'T EUROPEANS.
I think we could argue the same for some other countries.
How long has Turkey been in Europe?
And what about all those Russians?

Hairy said:
I think we could argue the same for some other countries.
How long has Turkey been in Europe?
And what about all those Russians?

I suppose Turkey isn't really a European country either - although they are trying to join the EU I believe.

As for those Russian countries - the USSR was Europe, and it always competed in European competitions. So by definition, after the break-up, its sub-countries should be European.

But the edges are definitely blurred!!

I have to agree with you SOK!
Israel is definitely a problem as far as football goes,never mind everything else!

I always thought this to and a couple of months back when the euro08 draw was made i though how the hell are israel in englands group, they are not in europe i can see the same thing happening now with liverpooling happening again with all the teams in the group.

stupid.

You could also ask the question as to why Cardiff and Swansea are playing in the English Premier League and not the LOW?

rio1981 said:
You could also ask the question as to why Cardiff and Swansea are playing in the English Premier League and not the LOW?

and why Berwick Rangers play in the Scottish Leagues?

mjn said:
and why Berwick Rangers play in the Scottish Leagues?

Yep, them as well. Really can't see why Cardiff and Swansea don't play in the LOW - after all there's only really been two teams in Scottish football in recent years, why Cardiff & Swansea but not Rangers & Celtic?

rio1981 said:
Yep, them as well. Really can't see why Cardiff and Swansea don't play in the LOW - after all there's only really been two teams in Scottish football in recent years, why Cardiff & Swansea but not Rangers & Celtic?
They were originaly accepted into the English leauge as there wasn't a Welsh one. As LOW clubs get gates that would scare even Scottish Div 2 sides, you can see that it would be a huge financial belt to the Welsh trio playing in English football to join it. As for Berwick they joined the Scottish leauge as it's a darn sight easier for them to reach Abroath than it is Plymouth!;)

Istanbul_Kop said:
....So basically, everyone hates Isreal

An untrue and imflammatory statement.

The reason that Israel is currently under the EUFA or European umbrella is to enable their sportsmen to participate in their sporting pursuits, but not have to compete directly with their arab neighbours for obvious reasons. Same applies to the African Group which includes several hostile Arab Countries.

For logistical reasons, it is unrealistic to include them in the Asiatic or Oceanic Groups.

We often hear the cry go up to "seperate sport from politics", more frequently in the African situation, well indirectly, this is what's being done now. Their sportsman deserve to be able to compete!

I agree however, that the arrangement should include the proviso that all Israeli home games should be played on neutral soil in the current climate.

I certainly don't hate them, nor does Sepp Blatter, Lennart Johannson, Tony Blair or George Dubya Bush........

CFC1 said:
I certainly don't hate them, nor does Sepp Blatter, Lennart Johannson, Tony Blair or George Dubya Bush........

So thats a total of 5 people who like them!!

RoNaLdiNhO said:
hehehe all brainwashed by fox news i bet.

You mean it's not 'Fair and Balanced'?:rotfl:

Hey, CFC1, of course UK and USA are going to support them....we put them there.

Istanbul_Kop said:
.....of course UK and USA are going to support them....we put them there.

Then don't we owe it to them to support their sportsmen as well as their politicians?

CFC1: wondering if you remember years ago when chelsea had to play a match in israel, they had to blank out the Fly emirates logo on there shirts. Do you remember that?

Mate, I remember it clearly.
It wasn't right then, and it ain't right now, but hey, that's the reality of the situation..... come to think of it, ain't that the time we were knocked out of the EUFA Cup by Hapoel Tel Aviv? :mad: :mad:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom