1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISPs any recommendations

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rigman, Oct 24, 2005.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    In the market for a new ISP after my 1meg service with v21 went down on Friday afternoon and is still not back up yet. I had to phone a premium rate number on Saturday only to get someone who hardly understood english. After going around in circles for 10 minutes I finally lost my temper. He said he would get my line checked within 48 hours. Today I received an email from them telling me I had to check my modem cable for line noise and only then would they get the line checked They got a very curt reply back.

I am currently on dial up.

I am now cancelling and would like recommendations for 1 meg or 2 meg ISP's who provide a good service

cheers
    Darren

p.s the moral of the story is if you are thinking of going with V21 then go elsewhere

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I would recommend Nildram as I've been with them for around 18months now and had no down time. I went with them after checking the best ISP's on www.adslguide.org and they came out top for reliability, speed & customer service (which I've never needed :smashin: ).

Mark.

3. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have a pipex 1mb connection. it's about £23 a month for unlimited use. i recommend them

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Don't know if your in a Telewest digital area and you are willing to change to cable, if you are I cannot recommend these guys high enough.

They usualy upgrade there customers (bandwidth) free every year or so and run uncapped. Although it also says its contested, just like ADSL, I have never had less than my maximum bandwidth should i require it.... well, when i lived in the UK :D

Oh, at the moment they are upgrading everyone again, free, with top paying users getting 10meg (from 4). This time next year the top paying customers have been told they should have 100meg.... all this for the same price as people were paying 2 years ago for 2 meg. This of course means that the lower bandwidth users are also getting upgraded each time as well, again for free, but don't expect the same speeds :D

But, as said, you will need to switch from ADSL to do this.

Just another option ..... :thumbsup:

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Unfortunately we do not have cable but i will check out the other recommendations.

Thanks guys

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Rigman

I would recommend Plusnet (www.plus.net). I have been with them for more than 2 years and they are superb, with excellent service. Previously, I was with other broadband providers (ADSL) who were incompetent, such as BT.

They also have a superb offer at the moment........£14.99 per month for a 2MB unlimited connection, which includes email inboxes, webspace etc. This offer can't be beaten.

If you do join them, don't forget to mention me (gpurohit), as I'll get 50p off my monthly bill :thumbsup:

Good luck

Doc

P.S. I actually had a problem with my line, which BT kept ignoring and brushing aside. Plusnet actually logged the complaint directly with BT for me which resulted in an engineer coming to my house to check the line and sockets. There was a fault with my line and BT had to replace the whole cable from the end of my street to my house. Not a single problem since then.

7. jefff

jefff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've been with Griffin Internet www.griffin.com for 3 years now, also have 30+ ADSL circuits with them @work. Not the cheapest but never had a problem with reliability, they also have excellent technical support:clap:

8. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Be wary of pipex. I have a 2mb "unlimited" connection with them, which you tend to pay over the odds for. No problems at all with the connection, in fact its fantastic, but not so long ago Pipex changed the T&Cs without really letting anyone know about it.

If you use shedloads of bandwidth (how much no one is really sure), they will "Traffic Manage" you during peak times. Not really a big deal for me as i dont download a great deal, and even if i do i tend to leave it going overnight which is off peak anyway, but it now seems pointless to pay more than anybody else does for 2Mb.

Something you should be aware of if your considering them. As soon as a decent LLU service lands at my exchange, im off. (Currently only Bulldog)

9. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, I use telewest who are pretty good these days i think.

I had a 1 meg line, they upgraded me to 2 megs for free. Now it is an upgrade to 10 megs for free :)

CaM

10. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    cheers for the pipex info danh. i saw the note they posted on their site and was pretty ******ed at it.

Thinking of switcing to plusnet after their deal! Anyone else have experience with them?

11. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi jinky32

Read my bit above, Plusnet are superb.

Doc

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Freedom2surf. 8mb with no download limits £25 a month.

13. Paul666

Paul666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    +net r 'mis-leaders'
    f2s just taken over by pipex who r not rated

www.zen.co.uk r very good

u get what u pay for.

good luck

14. McChubby

McChubby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using http://www.fast24.co.uk 1Mbit for about 3 years now - excellent service, no downtime.

Unlimited bandwidth is £27 month inc. VAT, which was one of the cheapest unlimited 1MBit providers at the time - I don't know if there's any cheaper around nowadays.

15. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I concur with the Doctor. I have been with plus net for 3 years now and have found them to be reliable and they have a good online help system for logging problems or questions regards internet issues. They also have a local call rate number which is available 24hrs.

Have a look through their website www.plus.com and you can login using guset and see all the facilities open to you. The £14.99 service is 2MB and is not restricted to any particular limit however there are some restrictions which are detailed on the FAQ. You can pay by direct debit as well if you like.

I have had a few referal discounts and am not adverse to some more if anyone wants to PM me.

16. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    another one to throw in the mix. I've been with Eclipse for over a year now, never had any downtime and they win awards for speed and service. It's a monthly contract so you can cancel whenever you want.

www.eclipse.co.uk

17. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    check out pipex or eclipse internet mate