1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isp's And Pings.

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by ELV, Mar 20, 2003.

1. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was just wondering what anyone has found who has changed isp's if their pings have improved. I'm with AOL and connect at normally 50667 to 52000 bps or kps or something like that, but my ping on line is mormally around 250 to 350 which seems high even for 56k. I v'e heard that AOL route their calls through American servers and wonder if any uk based ones would be better. Any thought on this would be appreciated.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    AOL are one of the worst providers ever.

It is a long time since I have used dial up, I would suggest changing provider, but would not know which one to recommend.

I would seriously think about getting broadband or ISDN, which is not that expensive and is really what you need for playing online games.

3. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Trouble is that i live in cumbria and we have'nt got broadband yet,
    Thought the problem is mainly with the isp as i'm getting decent connection speeds although i believe that this is only a rough quide,.

cheers anyway.:clap:

4. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ELV
    Same here i'm on AOL and get good browsing speeds for a 56k but if i try to play an online game i get pings of 250 plus which is bloody unplayable. Thankfully my exchange is getting upgraded in may so i hopefully will be able to get broadband - not sure if i will get a good ping even with broadband as i' quite a way from the exchange and the telephone checker says i 'should' be able to get 512k download but will not get the full 256k upload - i'm guessing i'll end up with 128k or 64k upload. Will this effect my online gaming much?? what about xbox live will i be able to use that ok ??

5. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Your upload should only affect your ability to host - as long as you're not hosting you should be ok.

6. Bambi

Bambi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i'm aware, upload/download speed does not affect your ping that much.

I normally play RTCW and the amount of data transfer per second is only about 4-6 Kbs which is nothing really if you have a ISDN/ADSL connection.

I've even noticed the difference between say an 128K ISDN connection compared to a 1Meg pipe to not be that great a difference. Perhaps about 20-30 ping?

Not too high a difference considering the 10 times difference in speed.

If you browse some other forums, i'm sure you'll find a far better explanation than what i've put here.

7. MAXPING

MAXPING

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What part of Cumbria ? I am from Ulverston and all the surrounding are have been given trigger levels ours is approx 80 regs away from getting ADSL.
    Go to www.adslguide.org.uk and use the "demand tracker" link on the top left side of homepage to find out if you have a trigger set.