1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISP help ...chosing the right one

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Acidburn, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I've been surfin around the forum and googling for ISP's that offer broadband in the teesside area. NTL offer there services on the cheap but I'm tired to a 12 month contract...which is no good!

Basically I'm shipping off to university come sept, and have no way of getting online unless i do it myself. SO therefore I've been looking and only need a less than 8 month contract...any Ideas on ISP's?

2. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Zen broadband have a 30 day notice period only and people I know who have this say it is a very good service but is a little more expensive

3. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Im with zen and have had no connection problems so far (about 3 months now) Had a problem with payments recently but its all sorted out now.

I have a 512 connection that I share via wireless with my next door neighbour and have no problems with us both on x box live at the same time although it is a little more expensive than some others.

4. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm thanks for the reply, any others? Basically i would like a BB connection that is uncapped ( no limit on downloading / uploading files) and along with a NO yearly contract, since i won't be there for the year . . .:D

5. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Checkout Adslguide for the best ISP's.
    Personally, and in no particular order - Eclipse, Nildram, Pipex, Plusnet and as mentioned earlier, Zen. Bulldog are also emerging as a main competitor.
    The site above has info and links so you can check for capping and contract durations from there.

Best of luck :)

6. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm the only reason I needed help was in that I'm a 56k user, only real ISP i know of is NTL, and Freeserve, I did check out ADSL guide before I made this post but none of the names struck me so I turned to this post... Perhaps I was too quick to judge

7. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Definitely forget Freeserve aka Wanadoo.
    They are also 12 month min contract.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

8. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'll give Eclipse a thumbs up :smashin: The speed is very good, 1 month contract, no download limit, and I have never had a problem.

9. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked them out, which option do i need....

Home 250 - Flexible up to 1Mb
    A cost-effective entry level solution which is a great stepping-stone for existing dial Internet users who are unsure of the benefits of broadband but want to try it out. £58.75 £17.99

Home 500 - Flexible up to 1Mb
    Ideal for families or users with heavier usage, the Home 500 service is also recommended for use on home networks. £58.75 £23.95

I assume that the unlmited downloading applis in both cases, since it states that on the webite, so perhaps the home 500 . .is the 512k option and the 250 is the 256k option?

10. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  11. Acidburn

Acidburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which is better? ...Flex option or standard? Say if i chosen the flex package, i asusme is a little bit more than the none flex, and started downloading a big file would the line automatiicaly flex up?? Or do you have to tell it to?