1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IsoTek Powerstation & mains regeneration

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by TheSeer, Mar 5, 2004.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello All,

Does anyone know whether the IsoTek Powerstation is available in the shops yet. The IsoTek website seems to imply that it isn't available (eg the price is still TBA). But I did recently see a price for it in an Audio-T shop. So, does anyone have one? If so, is it any good? How does it compare with similar products from PS Audio?

Mains regeneration units are potentially very attractive solutions to the mains contamination problem. In my experience sorting out mains issues can often yield better improvements than upgrading individual components.

I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who uses a mains regeneration unit.

Thanks

2. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Come on !! Someone on these forums MUST use a mains regenerator as part of their system. I'd love to hear what they think of it...................

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I dont, but I recognise the technology. Its used for variable speed drives for the Water Industry. It eliminates the bad waveforms on the mains network, so it improves power quality and useage. I thought this was aimed at switchmode PSUs which use high speed switching, not sure how this applies to standard linear PSUs. Interesting !

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I have to say I dont,although the PS Audio devices do look very attractive....the only thing that's kept me from trying has been the price for the sort of spec I'd need to run my Krells from.
    Until then,I'll stick to passive mains conditioning with mains cables etc.

5. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

I have heard the Powerstation once, and it was not in my system, but I hear it back to back against a fully loaded Substation (which uses filters and mains isolation transformers). The Power Station was much, much better than the Substation (which I use), giving a lower noise floor, a larger soundstage with more solidity to the musicians within the soundstage, greater illumination at the edges of the stage, cleaner HF with superior definition, and a tighter more controlled bass whcih sounded faster but not overdamped. In a word, it improved everything which mattered to me. It's SRP at the time was £2,700 but it had 4 channels each capable of delivering 80W.

As I understand it the PowerStation is no more, it has been dropped, but it has been replaced with the Isotek Origin, which was launched at Bristol. This has 2 channels of 100W each or a single channel delivering 200W. This is much smaller and cheaper and £1,700. I'm going to be getting a couple of these in my system in the near future to try out and see how they perform against my SubStation.

You're absolutely correct, they are very attractive and can rectify problems such as mains sags and deformed sine waves in a way no other solution can. Likewise my findings are that spending money on rectifying mains problems can yield bigger improvements in a system than replacing a component or upgrading cables. Due to my usage of large Bryston power amps, current regenerators cannot power these, so I'll have to stick with my Isotek Qube's for these, but I eventually would like to put my phono stage, pre amp, digital transport, DAC and AV processor on regenerators. I've even heard the difference regenerators make on very high end equipment such as DCS digital components, and even these benefit from the completely clean power delivered by a regenerator.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dave

6. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

Have you tried using Isotek Qube's on the Krell's? I've heard from a couple of people who've tried this and they#ve reported really excellent results. Naturally the precise benefits are governed by your location (i.e. how bad are your mains?) but I would think in a system such as yours the benefits of a Qube would be easy to hear, even though a suitable Qube for your system would be around £1,500. There are also a complete new series of Qube coming out in the next couple of months, so it may be worth waiting to buy one of those.

Best wishes,

Dave

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Dave...thanks very much for that...and I've got an Isotek dealer near me so may well give it a try,but as you say,the cost is another matter,with each of the Krells drawing well over 1kW at start.
    I'll certainly keep it in mind,but have a few things to do to the supply first(new consumer unit and spur using Kimber mains cable,which a few others have recommended very highly).

8. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello Alex,

Whilst the Krells may well pull over 1Kw during start up, do you know what they are using during normal playback? The general rule is to have a 50% margin, so if the combined current draw of the Krells' during operation is over 1Kw then you'll probably need to look at the 4 Kw Qube, though I'd certainly investigate the 2 Kw and see what that does for you sonically.

I'd certainly recommend the new consumer unit, which should ideally be wired back to the meter on separate tails, but I would question spending the money on the Kimber myself, as I think that using good quality mains cable which is fully shielded would do the job just as well, and the money saved could be put towards the Qube. As always with this equipment, YMMV.

Best wishes and please keep us posted as you proceed with your mains upgrades.

Dave

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    One of the problems with older Class A Krells is that they draw fairly large amounts of current continuously,with a maximum efficiency of around 20%,so these draw around 700W + even at idle(each).They have 2kW mains transformers inside,and approx 250,000 uF of storage,responsible for the initial surge of around 10A.
    Prior to changing some of the other gear I had,I was running a triamped active speaker system with a few more Krells,and all had to be turned on separately to avoid blowing the ring-main fuse!
    On the subject of cables,I've had a lot of success with Kimber mains leads(as opposed to a number of others)which work very well with these amps.

Your point about the spur wiring is well taken though,not least on cost grounds!

10. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    Just seen this thread.
    I have a ps audio p600 regenerator.It's probably made the single biggest difference to my system.
    Very expensive,but a must have for the serious audiophile.
    Regards

11. Fabio

Fabio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone. Just been to my local dealer who informed me more about what was happening to Isotek. I wouldn't buy any more products from them now!
    It seems the Origin regenerator is not designed by Nic Poulson who originaly designed the whole range. I went to a dealer that had one on loan and it was faulty!!
    Aparently Isotek is being desolved and in time could face problems. I would advise anyone looking to buy Isotek to check out Nic's new company Isol-8 where all of his original designs can be found but improved plus it looks like there are 2 regens available now with the big 4 channel one comming soon.

12. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

The facts are that Nic and Isotek have decided to part company, as I understand the decision was a mutual one. The new Origin regenerator is from a different designer, but serves exactly the same purpose. There was an Origin running the Active Distribution room in Bristol for three days without any problems.

This story was printed in Hi Fi News last month, but in this month's issue there is a retraction, and Isotek are releasing a whole new range of products to replace the original range with some improvements.

There has already been a review of the Mini Sub GII in Hi Fi News and that was very positive. I've only spent a day or so with the Mini Sub GII, but the results were quite astonishing. In the original range there was a big difference in the performance of the Mini Sub vs. Substation with isolation transformers, with the GII Mini Sub this difference was dramatically reduced. If I already owned a Substation, I certainly wouldn't buy a Mini Sub GII as an upgrade, but if I was looking for an mains filtration solution for a whole system, then the Mini Sub GII would certainly rate very high on my shopping list and would probably sway me from buying the Substation on a pure value for money basis.

Best wishes,

Dave

13. Fabio

Fabio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true that the GII is good however I found it had a strange effect on the midrange and vocals seemed 'different' but couldn't put my finger on it exatly what it was doing. From what I have seen I belive they are using .1ohm resisters on the live and neutral lines. I'm confused as to why you would want any mains conditioning product to have more resistants?!!
    The only reason I have said check out Isol-8's PS100 and PS200 regenerators is that they are much cheaper than the Origin and olso have variable frequency outputs. I'm having a dem of one shortly with a dealer and looking forward to listening to it.