1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isotek Minisub mains leads?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ROBERTT, Oct 14, 2003.

1. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Have just bought an Isotek mini-sub. This product does not come with a mains lead so I bought the Isotek elite mains lead (thinking I would stick with the same company!) I bought 3 leads...1 to power the minisub itself and 2 extra to power a Pioneer 434HDE (On order soon!) and the media box (both connected to the minisub). However on delivery I noticed that these leads were rated at 16amps. The Isotek outputs 10 amps on 2 sockets and 6.5 for the other 4. Would I be better off with a lead of a lower rating. Should I have gone for The 10amp Isotek lead? I dont want to blow my new Pioneer as soon as I get it!!!!

Robert

2. OxfordDon

OxfordDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No that's fine. Just means the lead is capable of handling more power than the Isotek puts out, so it's better that way round.

3. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and were the results any good?

thanks

CaM

4. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Initially i was disappointed with the picture on the Pioneer. But after the screen settled in (approx 200 hours) its really good. PQ on DVD is excellent via HDMI, although Sky can be poor. Thats down to the compression that Sky uses rather than the plasma!...Roll on HDTV!!

Does the Isotek make a difference.I would say YES. There is far less noise on screen and the sky menus are sharper and better defined. Watching football I get none of the jaggies on the white lines mentioned by others. It also helps with the digibox as well. Never once locked up since connected to the Isotek. Its pretty expensive but IMO well worth it.

5. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much for your reply :)

CaM

6. Fabio

Fabio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, check out Isol-8.co.uk
    After speaking to a dealer don't think I will ever buy Isotek again!

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    any retailers links?

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why do you say that? :confused:

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    quality control methinks

ad

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

sorry I could have misinterpreted something there....

ad

11. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    still :confused:, whats the website got to do with quality control??

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think a dealer told Fabio (or Fabio was involved with) a number of isotek units which were faulty...... hence quality control

ad

13. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

As I understand it, the situation 'Fabio' is referring to is the fact that an Origin regenerator failed at a dealers. This unit was, in fact, a pre production prototype which was being shown to a few dealers, and this was made quite clear at the time. The full production Origin is due shortly, but what dealers have seen so far, as I have been told, is not the finished Origin.

On the issue of Isotek Mains leads, I have taken a look at a lot of mains leads, ranging in price from £50 to £500, and right now the most consistent lead has been the Isotek lead. It's got no black magic, it's not been treated with magic pixie dust like some companies claim and it doesn't use space age technology lifted from NASA's space program, but it does seem to use solid engineering, good quality components, and worked with pretty much everything I've tried it with today to the sonic benefit of the component, with the notable exception of the Shanling CDT-200 SACD player which already comes with an excellent mains lead.

My whole system currently runs on Isotek Elite leads, and compared with the stock leads the is a top to bottom sonic improvement.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Best wishes,

Dave

14. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

I'm pleased to hear this has worked well for you. I use a SubStation on my LCD projector and, again, I see a reduction in noise and better colour saturation. Sky is OK, but trust me, when you see a picture on something like Euro 1080 or the new HD Windows Media, you will be really blown away. I've also seen D-Theater recently, and that, again, is incredible. DVD scaled correctly can look incredibly good, but nativ High Def. material is definitely the way to go.

What you have to remember is that the Mini Sub is actually doing three jobs here, it's stopping the crap on the mains getting into your equipment, as you would expect, but it also prevents the garbage generated by the noisy switch mode power supplies in the Plasma and Digibox from getting into the rest of your equipment, degrading their performance in the process. Finally it's stopping the components talking to each other across the mains, again when this happens it's to the detriment of the components performance. Switch mode PSU's are a real problem for audio and video, and it's only going to get worse.

Best wishes,

Dave

15. Fabio

Fabio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I you should ceck it out is because I have a demo booked to listen to the new PS200 regen from Isol-8. It is far cheaper than the origin (£1300) and has variable frequency which I'm told is something special. Looking forward to hearing it. Will give you some feedback.