Question ISOMAX vs Genie Clips?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jfinnie, Nov 25, 2017.

1. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    Anyone seen a useful comparison of the two?
    Notable feature differences / gotchas?
    ISOMAX is quite attractive as it is a bit lower profile from what I can see than genie clips, and every mm counts...

2. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I used Isomax clips for my build recently. I had no problems with them and consider them well designed and constructed. As you can see from the installation instructions there is 38mm from the studwork to the furring strip or back of the plasterboard to account for. I used them at the maximum recommended spacings on walls and ceiling and they have no problem coping with the weight of 2 x 15mm layers of Acoustic Plasterboard and a layer of Tecsound 50 sandwiched in between.
    https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com...IsoMax Clip Installation Guide - Walls v1.pdf

3. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    Thanks for that. I've also seen the UK docs claiming 38mm thickness. Which is odd, as this US site had them at 1.32" (33.5mm) which would be a big and useful saving over the GenieClips (41mm). I wonder if they're using a different dimension furring channel over there.
    IsoMax Sound Isolation Clips for Walls and Ceilings

I've also seen these which look like a clone of the ISOMAX but with less / no metal (they have a top plate with the countersunk holes, but no idea if that is plastic or metal). No detail on the depth though.
    Sound Isolation Clips (SIC) - Acoustic Clips for Walls & Ceilings
    (a little cheaper here: Sound Isolation clip - Soundproofing Clip For Walls and ceilings | eBay )

4. peter-d-w

peter-d-w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I measured it at 37mm but the documentation states 38mm. I thought it was too little difference to mention but it might be useful to you.