Question Isolation feet

DodgeTheViper

Be aware there are 2 thread sizes for 1/4" screws. The ones you want have 20 threads per inch and are referred to as UNC (unified coarse) as supposed to UNF (unified fine) which have 28 threads per inch.

Here's some suitable stainless steel screws in assorted lengths: 1/4-20 Hex Head Machine Screws

Good info but if the home made feet are going to be anything similar to the SVS feet, hex head are no good. They need to be pan head type bolts in order to be able to be fixed with a Philips screwdriver or Allen key.

Toobad

Yes, unless he counter-bores sufficient clearance to accommodate a 7/16"AF socket, he will need something like a button head screw and a 1/4" Allen key. Perhaps these something like these screws would do: 1/4" UNC Button Head Stainless Steel Bolts

Toobad

Good luck with the project. If successful, some photos of the finished design along with a parts listing and costs would really benefit others thinking of going down the same (sound)path.👍

Bilbo 69

For the rubber feet I can get this in it’s raw form so can make them any size and shape and alter the cooking process to change the density to what I like.

Bilbo 69

Another idea I am going to try is SILICONE
As this is more softer than rubber when cured, alot like sorbothane.
I will cut the end off and let it cure inside it's tube to keep its shape once cured I will cut into 6 equal pieces.
I'm also thinking about using a cup cake baking tin fill these with silicone just to give me a different shape to spread the load more evenly.
The good thing about silicone too is that you can get this virtually in any colour now to match either your speaker, floor, or platform.
Any thoughts on this or ideas to improve let me know 😊

Toobad

Have you considered trying to do something with squash balls? They are 40mm in diameter so cutting one in half would give 2 mounts. The Dunlop Pro Ball has the "deadest" compound, I would assume a damped bounce is what you are after.
Dunlop Pro Squash Ball
Novice balls with diameters up to 60mm like the Dunlop Fun Mini are also available but the compound is intentionally bouncier.

WozzaB

Another idea I am going to try is SILICONE
As this is more softer than rubber when cured, alot like sorbothane.
I will cut the end off and let it cure inside it's tube to keep its shape once cured I will cut into 6 equal pieces.
I'm also thinking about using a cup cake baking tin fill these with silicone just to give me a different shape to spread the load more evenly.
The good thing about silicone too is that you can get this virtually in any colour now to match either your speaker, floor, or platform.
Any thoughts on this or ideas to improve let me know 😊
My inital thought is that silicon may be too soft when cured, I can picture the silicon feet bulging slightly with the weight of the sub on them, but I still think it's worth experimenting with!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom