Isnt this the place to buy ones Hifi/Av Gear?

la gran siete

Just wondered about your thoughts. Prices look very enticing

Rich

They seem to get good feedback on Ebay
I found another place selling very similar stuff New York sound, some of their speakers look really cool.
I'd love to find out if this stuff sounds as good as it looks.
Does anyone have any of these products ?

alexs2

It's exactly as predicted a few yrs back,that once they'd learnt how to build with decent quality control,the Chinese would be a major force....of the brands there,Consonance,Ming-Da and Shanling are the only I have experience of,and all are excellent value for the price range that they sell in,and that includes the Shanling CDT-300 at over £3k.

la gran siete

If I was starting again I would certainly consider taking a gamble. I may still think in terms of buying an amp with decent output into difficult loads just to maximise bass and show better control. Any yo think might fill this requirement?

la gran siete

dont quite know why I put this thread in here?? :confused: :rolleyes:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
I'm a chip broker by trade and there's some high-end semi's going into that gear!

alexs2

shahedz said:
have you seen the Mark Levinson OEM amp they are selling!! how cheap is that! tempted to buy something from there
I think there's probably a little way to go before they start troubling the likes of Levinson and Krell,but the point is well made(as are most of the products!).

la gran siete

shahedz said:
have you seen the Mark Levinson OEM amp they are selling!! how cheap is that! tempted to buy something from there
Which one would that be?

la gran siete

la gran siete

The items are very tempting but without being able to demo, its a high risk.I think you can only go on other people's experiences

la gran siete

I sent an email to shadow distribution and this is the reply I got:

Hi Michael

Many thanks indeed for you e-mail.

The amplifier does not double into 4 ohms, however it can drive some pretty difficult loads - we have a customer who tested one on a pair of Nautilus 801's and the amplfiier was superb.

To be honest for the money, I do not know of a better amplifier - if a bargain exists in HiFi then this is it!!

I am not sure if Guildford have stock at present, so perhaps a quick call to them would answer that question for you, if not we can supply them with a new unit from stock.

If you would prefer to chat to us about it, feel free to call us on 01592 744779.

Kind regards and best wishes.

Mark Cargill

made me think their price reflects prices of similar products, albeit rather lower in order to appear competitive, in which case it supports my view that we are all being thoroughly ripped off.

pragmatic

All i can think is they take the delivery charge and import tax and vat (that the customer will pay but is included in the price) then tack on a decent profit. If i'm not mistaken you'd have to pay these if you bought it from the cheaper shop and considering the weight of the thing it may cost a hundred pound or more for shipping, i'm not sure how much tax would be but a fair ammount i would guess, plus you would get stung for vat.

Another factor to consider is the warranty, the uk sourced product will come with at least a years and will be delt with in the uk (one would hope) while the direct from china would have to go back?

Even with all this taken into consideration it may be worth buying direct, allthough the uk shop will most likey offer a demo too (although would they sell/demo it if it were crap?)

la gran siete

Demos are offered by Guilford HI Fi for eg.
I think delivery is included in the price although customs and excise would be an issue. I still think 100% + jump is exhorbitant though

la gran siete

no I see that shipping is extra £5.00 PER KG

la gran siete

30X 5 = £150 XTRA Mmmmm begins to look less attractive

pragmatic

Especialy if the *blasted thing is broken when you recieve it, although they look pretty sturdy so i guess it would pretty difficult to damage the thing in transit, although i'm sure some curriers will try there hardest.

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme