Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Isn't the Lord of the Rings DVD a bit loud?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mr Merrick, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Surprised I was to have my pre-ordered copy of Lord of the Rings delivered a week earlier than expected...but nearly deafened when I played it through my Denon 3800 DVD/3802 Reciever. The film is recorded in Dolby Digital EX. I have my system preset at a specific volume (-18dB) and I find this plays all my DVDs loud enough to recreate the cinema experience. There are some earlier DTS titles (Apollo 13 & Waterworld for example) that are slightly louder than their Dolby Digital versions, but LOTR was madness...I had to lower the volume to -35dB to get it to play comfortably. My setup is in a separate room and I'm in the process of getting a RC unit set up, so I have to make do with getting up to adjust the volume. In its favour though, the sound is superb ;) Has anyone else noticed this problem?

2. Sammy1001

Sammy1001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree - although I have only watched small bits (at the mo) , my ears were bleeding, and that bass from the Sub - I'm going to have to get a structual engineer in to check for damage!!
    Reference material if I ever saw it.:eek:

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Or Heard it... ;)

4. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    What dB reading do you get at your listening position, it's probably a little more indicative than the amp setting?

I must say a lot of cinemas I've been to are too loud in any case.

5. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The UCI Empire Leicester Square is a prime example...It's so bloody loud there and the treble perforates your eardrums. BUT...the very same cinema was the reason I got into home cinema and cinema sound. I watched Star Trek: Generations there, back when the screen had THX certification and wasn't so loud. (Does anybody recall the laser light show before the movies started):D Anyway, why was the THX licence revoked?...I heard it was something to do with the air conditioning being too loud. Another rumour was that there was an audible echo heard from the first five rows. How strict :(

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hellah yeah, the dial on my amp was almst turned to zero! I dread (well actually cant wait for ) the extended dvd's DTS mix :)

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it must be one of the loudest discs i have the pleasure of owning :) my poor lil body has been shook :( :D

8. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Good call Mr Merrick!

That screening was fantastic, disappointed to hear it's not as good today :(
    On a side issue, I was watching a disc with my two boys & the phone went off so I paused the disc.
    Youngest son's too impatient so starts fiddling with the remote trying to restart film. However before finding the play button found the volume up button......+13db on the amp!!!!!
    Complimentary brown trousers!

Cheers, Paul

9. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havn't received my copy yet although i'm looking forward to putting my modest system through it's paces when it (hopefully) arrives this week :)

10. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    In fact...now that I think of it...The forging of the disc (bu-dumm-tissh!;) ) probably IS catered for modest amps...If the source material is already encoded loud enough, you needn't be overloading your amp/receiver trying to eek out an extra decibel or two. Still, this doesn't mean to say that your speakers won't start to clip (but that's what sub crossovers are for, heheh):D

11. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "...this doesn't mean to say that your speakers won't start to clip..."

...erm... speakers don't 'clip' - they merely reproduce whatever signal the amp sends them ... occasionally they may not be happy with that signal, and then go phffft - not good! blown (not clipped!) speaker!...

...amps do clip, however ... doesn't generally affect them (many amps have built-in 'brakes' for just such an eventuality) but the resulting signal they send out does affect the speakers - see above...

(signed) Passing Layman, Wearing Flame Suit

. . . :eek: . . .

12. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Mr M
    I have your amps older brother & usually listen at "cinema level" on -20 to -25 (for a loud one) but LOTR is threatening my windows if I go below -30 ! So yes it is loud IMO - I have never heard a disc where the sub is thundering along for the whole time apart from the (few) quieter moments ...
    What a film ; What a DVD ; bring on the 4 disc DTS its gonna be ever better (probably) :D
    Paul

13. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    the ddex track in this is amazing it adds so much to the movie with lots of extra effects coming out the centre rear speaker, all the speaker were in action during this movie.

using this as my demo from now on:D

14. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not getting the 2 disc, waiting for the 4 disc. Can't wait!

15. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Aye, I can wait until November for the 4 disc too!

R1 methinks (at this stage).

16. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    So rather than have a superb "this is how its meant to be" DVD, you would rather wait 3 months, pay extra and get a version with an extra 30mins of edit room waste that you have to swap DVDs half way through the movie.? ;)

17. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched the extras disc today and saw the preview of the extended version. Must admit, i saw nothing on it that made me wanna go out and buy that version.

I think the cinema version goes at a cracking pace. Also, that DDEX soundtrack is the Dogs Gonads. :D

JD

By the way, I only had to knock my volume down 5dbs to -25. But that was with THX turned off and dialogue normalisation turned on. :eek:

18. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    is it really such a good thing to have the disc loud as a standard surely it would be better for the amp to do the extra bit of work.im no expert but i would have thought a loud disc at normal listening levels would mean at louder levels certain speakers wont be able to handle this film.im not really ar.sed as i have kick ass speakers :D

19. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yes.

The 30 minutes was reportedly cut in order to acheive a lower certificate, which negates any comment of how the movie 'should' be.

20. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    According to the man himself (Peter Jackson), the extended version is simply a collectors item. In an interview on 2 disc of the current DVD set he makes it perfectly clear that the extended version is not a directors cut and that he regards the theatrical version as what he intended.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    30 minutes werent cut for ratings just for time and pacing for your average movie goer.

....also I swear the fight with Aragorn and Lutz at Amon Hen has an extra bit of uummph by the way of a included head-butt. I saw it three times at the cienma, and when I watched it on the *region 1* dvd, I really noticed something extra there.

Also the extras on the four disc set are going to be so much better, for once it looks like there's going to be a sfx making of that doesn't treat you like morons. Not to mention the 2/3 commentaries.

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff, I actually read on aintitcoolnews.com about him regarding the two versions like children - he has no favourite, he loves them equally - it was a simile along those lines anyway.

I think what comes across on the DVD is that the 2 disc version is for the casual viewer, the one which will be available in blockbuster etc, but the extended version is for the fans of the book and the film, like himself. Presently the only thing that makes LOTR - 2 disc version at cut above most other films, is obviously the film itself, and the sound. The extras are the usual puff pieces (apart from the Houghton Mifflin thing, and the internet shorts). However the 4 disc is going to be an immense DVD set for DVD enthusiasts and fans.

Also the additional 30 minutes that are included are extremely important. I have read all the books just recently and most of the added scenes give the film much more depth, and will definately help to calm the pacing, which in my opinon was slightly too fast and didnt always give the sense of the amount of time which passes between the various set pieces (e.g Sam and Frodo's journey from Hobbiton to Mordor is just under a year...I think).

23. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,376
    Yes this DVD has been mastered loud. I usually watch DVDs at reference level (0) on my Denon AVC-A1D and there are only 2 DVDs which are too loud at this level. One is Joe Satriani live in San Francisco and the other is this lovely Lord of The Rings.

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm glad I don't live next door to you then :)

25. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    There's a few folk who need their ears syringed.

26. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I thought I'd get the 2 discer having never seen the film in our local flea pit, nor have I read the book (is there a 5.1 book!)
    I must say I am hooked & was raging when LOTR finished & I knew I'd have to wait to December to see the next chapter ...
    As far as the 4 discer is concerned much as I'd like the film in DTS (the DD5.1EX is outstanding) I am not keen that its split over 2 discs but I think when the time come I will probably submit (OK I admit it I'm a DTS snob!)
    Paul ;)
    BTW Nice touch on LOTR that the previews of the 4 discer & TTT are in DD5.1

27. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    is the dts 30 min longer version of the film spread over 2 discs? im not being sarcastic either i didnt know that :confused: why the hell are they doing that.its bad enough knowing if you wanna see goodfellas you have to get up half way through never mind a brand new release of a blockbuster

28. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You could always combine the trip to the player to change discs with:
    -toilet break
    -make cup of tea
    -get beer from fridge
    etc....

My Tosh has twin disc trays so I'm OK.

29. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    that is not an option mate i dont wanna get up because the way things are in my house is YOU MOVE YOU LOOSE lol.the minute you even think about moving i have 4 other people all waiting to jump into the prime seat lol.and as i have home advantage an usually its my films there watching i aint moving lol might get one of the lads to do it like :D

30. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Sorry to stray slightly OT but this gets me on to the unending question of reference level.

Whats the consensus on getting a "reference level" on your home cinema? Depending on what you read, reference level for cinemas is either 85dB at listening position with a theoretical peak of 115dB or 75dB with a 105dB peak. To me, 85dB-115dB sounds correct as I seem to recall reading that Godzilla was one of the loudest films ever with a measured peak of 119dB on sound systems that could actually manage it!

So do people set their amps up using internal test tones or using test tones from dvds? It strikes me that many dvds are mastered at different levels (i often see the +4dB normalization come up on my amp on many DD soundtracks) so how do you know you are playing a given disc at reference levels?

I've set my system up using the THX optimizer on the Star Wars Episode 1 disc so that 0 on the amp makes my SPL meter read 85dB at listening position from each channel, and thus -10 would be 75dB. Am I completely wrong in thinking these test tones are reference tones? Its just that i prefer to use these for relative levels as i don't really trust the internal levels, especially the sub levels (my amp is a Denon A10SE).