Isn't it time FIFA/UEFA did something ....

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.. to sort out the sorry mess that football is becoming.

The main thing I would like to see sorted is the increasing power of players. All I have read recently is players saying that they want out or they will never pull on a certain club shirt again. They are killing the game.

Ashley Cole and William Gallas are the 2 recent high profile cases - I just went on to Soccernet and read that Ribery wants out of Marseille!! Where will it end?

These players have no respect for their employers, their contract, their supporters. All they care about is money and their high-profile lives in their cocooned world.

If Gallas doesn't want to play for Chelsea then why did he sign the last contract? Chelsea are that rich that they could actually take a stand against this nonsense and let him sit in the stands until his contract runs out, without releasing him. I would love to see that.

But I still think that its time that the governing bodies, who always claim 'for the good of the game', actually did something about it.

Totally agree,the contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on.
I think the whole issue of transfers and contracts is very shady.

This is one of the reasons why us "old timers" who post on here have been getting fed up with the game for the last few years :(

Its also another good reason why some of us prefer to watch lower league football. Less wages and less skill = less prima-donnas behaving like that and having hissy fits.

If a player further down the pecking order refuses to play for a club, he's a good chance of not having a club at all! At that level, no club = no money.

I think if they cut back on the power of agents and handlers then a lot of this problem would go away. Quite how they do that I don't know.

SOK said:
Ashley Cole and William Gallas are the 2 recent high profile cases - I just went on to Soccernet and read that Ribery wants out of Marseille!! Where will it end?

These players have no respect for their employers, their contract, their supporters. All they care about is money and their high-profile lives in their cocooned world.

You could say the same about Average Job. How many people move jobs in real life, because they want a better pay cheque? Stuff loyalty to their employers.

mjn said:
You could say the same about Average Job. How many people move jobs in real life, because they want a better pay cheque? Stuff loyalty to their employers.

But some of us do that so we can pay the bills! Not sure William Gallas or Ashley Cole have the same problem, really...

Sure you can draw a parallel, but with the money involved now it's not really horses for courses, is it? :confused:

mjn said:

Try watching Footballers cribs on MTV :lesson:

Kebabhead said:
Try watching Footballers cribs on MTV :lesson:

It's all relative....as the thread on TAX last week proved.

mjn said:
People move jobs in the real world to pay the bills. Footballers, even from the current 'championship' upwards no longer, and never did really, face that problem. That's the whole point of the big wages in football, so they don't have to worry about injury cutting short their career, and, in the 'old days', having no job afterwards compared to other working men. However, in these days of 'silly money' being paid, and no more 'jobs for life' that's also a thing of the past.

However, if you sign a contract with a company to work for them over a specific time period and agree in that contract not to contact other employers you are oblidged to see out said contract and no greedy, shiftless agent can tout around your CV on your behalf. If you don't honour that contract you are fired, and would find it hard to get another job after doing so.

Clubs don't have the latter comeback. If you fire a top player for breach of contract how many seconds would it be before he's snapped up by another club? Therefore the clubs have to lock players into a contract that's not really to their benefit (the clubs) these days.

The players want it all ways. Fat contracts, freedom to prostitute themselves to the highest bidder, and no comebacks if they do. There is no excuse for the behaviour of Gallas and Cole. It's petulance, nothing more.

As for FIFA helping the current dire situation - fat chance. Another daft piece of FIFA gargage has caused this situation:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/5233096.stm

SOK said:
.. Chelsea are that rich that they could actually take a stand against this nonsense and let him sit in the stands until his contract runs out, without releasing him. I would love to see that.

Funnily enough I would like to see that too! :smashin:

BrianC said:
I think if they cut back on the power of agents and handlers then a lot of this problem would go away. Quite how they do that I don't know.

your right there:thumbsup: half the time the players dont even wanna move,its the agents who try and unsettle players,telling them 'i can get you more money' where in fact its the agent that gets loads of money in the deal

shay0 said:
Its also another good reason why some of us prefer to watch lower league football. Less wages and less skill = less prima-donnas behaving like that and having hissy fits.

You don't choose your team, it chooses you.

I have no choice but to watch Liverpool.

kourosh said:
your right there:thumbsup: half the time the players dont even wanna move,its the agents who try and unsettle players,telling them 'i can get you more money' where in fact its the agent that gets loads of money in the deal

Was wondering, do players still get a signing-on fee these days?

I remember years ago they used to get approx 10% of the transfer fee - but in these days of huge wages perhaps that is done away with now.

Istanbul_Kop said:
You don't choose your team, it chooses you.

I have no choice but to watch Liverpool.

Thats a little unlucky for yourself though.lol.

Lufc

neilios said:
Thats a little unlucky for yourself though.lol.

Lufc
Well, apart from 88-90' I'd have to agree...........:D Must be like
watching Grahams Arsenal 93-95' every single year!:rotfl: :suicide:

At least you don't have kevin (long ball, lets buy players over 35) blackwell in charge .lol.

The problem is, the fans have become irrelevant to clubs these days. In the days before the stupid sky money clubs relied more on the real fans, not the corporate guys etc.

If fans want change in the footy world then they have to make it happen:
1. Stop going.
2. Stop buying every shirt that comes out.
3. Cancel sky.

I can't wait for someone to sue their club under the sale of goods act, and here's how. Someone buys a season ticket, then the club's best player gets sold. The team has now changed from the one that existed when the ticket was up for sale, so the goods are no longer as described. Dodgy I know, but no club would go to court to defend the action for fear of losing!

So, if I was footy's god, I'd do this:
1. No player can ever play against a club for whom he has previously played.
2. One substitute, not like now.
3. Team squads are 20 players, no more. Or alternatively, the points you have at the end of the season are divided by the number of players registered.
4. One yellow card, miss 10 games. One red card miss a season's worth.
5. Three red cards, and you're out forever.
6. Diving/cheating/spitting immediate life ban.
7. 4 points for a win,2 for a scoring draw, 1 for a no score draw. And one point for every goal scored. Or better, penalties if a draw at 90 minutes- might help England that one!

If people would start booing their own players for diving then that might alter things a bit, but I can't see this happening.

lostinspace said:
The problem is, the fans have become irrelevant to clubs these days. In the days before the stupid sky money clubs relied more on the real fans, not the corporate guys etc.

If fans want change in the footy world then they have to make it happen:
1. Stop going.
2. Stop buying every shirt that comes out.
3. Cancel sky.

!
Been saying this for years, but it will never happen here. It did in Italy but changed very little as the corporate money keep the clubs going long enough to ride it out.

Fans would need to boycott for weeks on end to make the clubs listen, and even then the English class system would intervene. Can't have the riff-raff forcing us into a corner, eh what! ;)

JohnG said:
If people would start booing their own players for diving then that might alter things a bit, but I can't see this happening.

That's exactly what happened at Chelsea in the last third of the season, where the Chelsea fans booed Didier Drogba. Apparently, John Terry took him aside and told him to cut it out. To his credit, he did and was re-energised as a player and put in his best performances thereafter. The fans then got back on his side and gave him the support and praise that his performances warranted! :thumbsup:

CFC1 said:
That's exactly what happened at Chelsea in the last third of the season, where the Chelsea fans booed Didier Drogba. Apparently, John Terry took him aside and told him to cut it out. To his credit, he did and was re-energised as a player and put in his best performances thereafter. The fans then got back on his side and gave him the support and praise that his performances warranted! :thumbsup:

How nice. That Chelsea 'family' are a real pleasant bunch.

...and when I say 'family', I mean Russian Mafia run terror institution.:rotfl:

You can see the players all the time now, they have the ball and running forwards with it, but all the time many of them seem to be looking for contact with defenders so they can throw themselves over and get a free kick. It's just not football any more, they seem to deliberately run into defenders then dive

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom