• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ismtech.co.uk - anyone dealt with them before?

geoff91

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I was thinking of buying a new laptop and the cheapest price I can find is from ismtech.co.uk and as the forum title suggests, I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with them before.

The reason I'm asking is that their website seems a little fishy in that there is no customer service telephone number, no address, and they ask for things such your date of birth when setting up an account. Plus they say they do not guarantee the security of your personal and credit card details.

Only review I can find on them is via Google shopping which reads as follows...
Good - product arrived quickly, although emails could have been more helpful ()eg. how long each stage of processing, dispatch etc was likely to take, rather than just that a specific stage was underway By KateB - Sep 8, 2010 - Google Checkout Reviews
...and I've quickly looked up their IP and the site is definitely being hosted from within the UK, so it's not all doom and gloom, it's just that when you're making a big purchase like a laptop then obviously it's nice to be confident that you're buying it from reputable people.

Anything that anyone has to say on the matter would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

mutamist

Established Member
Plus they say they do not guarantee the security of your personal and credit card details.

That right there would have me running a mile in the opposite direction. Is that even legal?

ducattigezzer

Established Member
don't do it

as the saying goes if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't and just a scam website

i've never heard of them as well

what laptop you after as some one on here will point you in the right direction if you let us know

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Plus they say they do not guarantee the security of your personal and credit card details.

That right there would have me running a mile in the opposite direction. Is that even legal?

I can't see anything on this? What page does it state this and what does it say?

It's certainly not legal as any details you give them are subject to the Data Protection Act.

mutamist

Established Member
I can't see anything on this? What page does it state this and what does it say?

No idea, I was quoting the OP. On looking at the website they actually go to great lengths to explain how important privacy and security are to them.

ducattigezzer

Established Member
just had a look here

IsmTech.co.uk - Is m Tech Information

just a quote from the above website

The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service

which alone would have me running as fast as i can

so i would say scam site

geoff91

Standard Member
Thanks for the responses.

I've looked into it a little further and according to ismtech's Terms and Conditions:
When processing your order, the information provided will be subject to credit and fraud prevention checks. For these purposes we may transfer your information to third parties and / or countries outside the EEA.
While all reasonable care is taken to protect the confidentiality of your order and credit card details we cannot be liable if, through no fault of our own, these details are intercepted by and used by third parties.
...which does not sound promising, although on their secure payment page they do say...
As a reputable financial institution, protecting your information and privacy is crucial to Moneybookers. Your personal data at Moneybookers is legally protected by the Data Protection Act 1998, and we are a licensee of the TRUSTe Privacy Program.
...and this Moneybookers company has a verisign certificate.

The one thing which gives me hope is that apparently you can pay using Google checkout, which as you probably know is covered by a fraud protection policy and does not share the full credit card number with the seller.

The laptop I was planning on buying from there was the Sony VAIO VPCF13Z1E/B. ismtech sell it for about £200 cheaper than I can find it from anywhere else returned in a Google shopping search. I was originally planning on buying the F12 version of the same model as there are a number of repuatble places that sell it for a bit under £1300, then saw this and decided to investigate.

Also, I have a NatWest Visa Debit card which would apparently protect me against it not arriving according to http://www.natwest.com/global/visa/common-questions.ashx.

What do people reckon?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Personally, even with some buyer protection through google checkout or similar I would go for a more reputable and legit looking/sounding operating. It's hard work to have to go through procedures to claim back lost funds that takes time and causes unnecessary stress - plus you are without your money and goods in the period should anything go wrong...

No fraud prevention checks should go outside of this country, especially if the bank / card you are using is from there, that part of their T&Cs sounds VERY messy. All they need to do is contact the issuer and THEY can perform any checks necessary. For that reason I would stay well clear.

ducattigezzer

Established Member
as a few others have said go to a reputable dealer/seller

all you have to say to yourself can i afford to go through all the hassle if it does go bad for the sake of £200

junebob

Standard Member
As this is pretty much the only discussion that comes up on searches about ismtech, it would be useful if the op came back to let us know what their decision was, especially if they did chose to buy from ismtech.

My gut feeling is that it's dodgy, as you would expect at least some reviews.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
There is no phone number or contact address listed so the website is not legal - whether it is dodgy I don't know but I certainly wouldn't buy from it.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom