ISF Calibration

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Spyro, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Can the Pio 436 be ISF calibrated from new or do you really need to run it in? Also who do you contact to calibrate it and how much does it cost?

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    It can be ISFed, but I would let it run in for 200 hours first. You could contact Gordon on this forum ([email protected] av) and it will cost from £250-£300. I highly recommend it......money well spent.

3. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My dealer also recommends ISF after 200 hours (he just used various setup DVDs on installation as a get-you-going-measure).

Luckily the dealer ISF treatment is free, which is rather nice.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    nowadays its more of an issue that if its going to die it will be in the first 10 hours and in that case you will want a new one if its lasted 200 hours it should be fine and you wont be ISF ing every screen sent back for repair......(well thats gordons take on it) Robbie where did you get you 436?

5. RobbieTT

RobbieTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Horny,

My 436 came from Audio T in Swindon.

6. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    £250-300 for someone to come to my place with his equipment and play with some buttons for 1-2 hours? You gotta be kidding me :confused:...unless the difference is really noticeable..... :cool:

7. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    believe me its worth every penny

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheeky kid

want perfection? Then spend the money and let me tell you its an artform and profession - or you could go do it yourself mate...Good luck.

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    If it was just that we wouldn't do it would we? :)

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,096
  11. Twan1

Twan1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I totally agree, gettin gordon to ISF my set up was well worth it!!!

12. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The big question for me is whether its worth trying to ISF the PV500 (which I may be buying soon) as I read the menu's arn't available to do this properly? or is it the fact it auto adjusts its own contrasts?

I'm going round in circles deciding if I should skip this model due to this

Deks

13. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    As long as you have a display and source capable of showing a superb picture, that is all well connected together, ISF Calibration is worth every penny, in my experience :)

People that doubt it have never seen the results usually !

Mark.

14. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    What impressed me most about ISF calibration, was the significant reduction in picture noise. And this was without using any of the noise-reduction options.

It may not bother some people, but I sit 9 feet away from my screen and I definately see it as money well spent.

It's done wonders for my PC as well.

Doc

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,096
    ...PV500's CAN BE ISF CALIBRATED. The only real issue in the service menu is a lack of overscan adjustment...and that's not even part of ISF calibration...it's just something that I would do as a matter of course if it was available....there is no overscan adjustment in the Pioneers either....

Gordon

16. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the comment Gordon! I had convinced myself after reading the other posts that it was hit and miss.

No doubt will be speaking in the new year when I have finally made my choice.

take care

Deks
    (Mike)

ps didnt realise the Pio's couldnt do overscan :)

17. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Am not saying that calibrating your screen is pointless all am saying and I believe that almost everyone agree that £300 per visit for this kind of job is over the top.It's not like the technician will dig a hole or remove a wall or something that gets you fatigued or otherwise exhausted.I do believe that a professional calibration would be noticeable and I might call Gordon to have my screen calibrated as well but nonetheless I still find the price ridiculous even if the picture dramatically improves.Sorry guys thats my opinion :rolleyes:

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    We are all entitled to opinions, for sure. Nobody is suggesting it's compulsory to get your screen ISF'd, strictly optional. And you think about the economics before sounding off about 'ridiculous'. How much do you earn per hour? And how much does it cost you employer more to the point? ISF gear is thousands of pounds, the qualification is thousands, it's a very high level skill, and in this country grave diggers earn less than computer programmers etc. The computer programmer could dig the grave, no problem, could the grave digger program the computer?

19. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,514
    MAW

I've been in the IT industry for 20 years now and beleive me there are plenty of Computer Programmers who couldn't dig a grave, but I do agree with your point.

I think £250-£300 is a perfectly reasonable amount.

However, I think it is hard to justify that sort of money when you can't imagine the performance.

For example it is the same cost to someone who barely knows how to switch the Plasma on, as the home enthusiast who has meticulously studied the technology and followed the DVE or AVIA setups. Yet I expect the benefit to each will be markedly different.

I'm currently considering ISF and am comfortable with the money but have the following issues

(a) I consider myself to be a skilled home enthusiast. After I have gone through DVE, I'm not sure how much ISF will add. I accept that it will be an improvement by I have no idea by how much. Although I'm happy with the price, I would be disappointed if having paid I struggle to tell the difference.

(b) I'm also concious that if I change my sources or the type of inputs I use, then ISF will have to be done over again. With the advent of HD but without any sources at present this seems a very real possibility.

I appreciate that the second point is my decision alone, but I would appreciate any views on the first, especially from people who think they have setup well (using DVE, AVIA etc) and then had ISF.

Cheers,

Nigel

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Solution to the source change is to wait before having the calibration done. The 1st point, just how much difference can you expect, well, there are a number of things that ISF calibrators can do that you simply cannot, so unless you are incredibly lucky, as in pure chance on the settings, you will still see a big improvement.

21. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335

so, no one has been able to sort out the overscan issue on the pv500s yet then? :(

I take it that if a dvd player is coneceted via the vga input that overscan can still be adjusted that way?

22. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting comments made thus far. I, like many am rather nerves at spending that sort of money without proof of the benefits only because I’ve never seen a before and after screen myself. However I’ve decided to take the plunge and will have my 436XDE ISF calibrated on Sunday. I have spent many hours with the DVE disc trying to get the picture to what I believe is reasonably good, so the ISF calibration for me will be very interesting. My wife on the other hand thinks I’m mad and from this point the appraisal from my wife will sound the success. As for the cost itself, well a premium service requires a premium price. I'll let you know my feeling on monday 12th.

23. borobob

borobob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does Gordon travel up to the north east,and if not who does?

24. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,096
  25. Damon

Damon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My question is...If you need this done to get the best picture, why aren't they like that out of the box? Ok so any TV will need tweaking for contrast etc but surely from a sales point of view, selling a plasma that doesn't require you to spend a further £300 to get the TV to live up to the promises in the pamphlet would make more sense.
    If people generally knew that to get the picture they thought they were going to get from the TV they just paid over 2k for, that they would have to extend their budget by £300 they would think twice.

Someone mentioned the price reflects the amount that the training and equipment costs. Surely that outlay is a long term investment?
    The way I see it; the customer is paying for the time and technical skill, not chipping in for the education and equipment.
    I don't care how much a builders van or tools costs, it shouldn't affect the price of the work. i can see it though "Right that's £2000 for the work and my new Van is £15 grand so you'll want to chip in for that, call it £2200 mate"

Damon

26. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,514
    Damon

What about if they offered to do it for £1800 and you provide the tools and the transport - I doubt you would be quick to take up that deal.

HarryW

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on. Please keep in touch.

Cheers,

Nigel

27. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    I agree. I have to use a van for my job and the costs of keeping a commercial vehicle on the road and the associated gear maintained costs a hell of a lot of money.

No business in existence today would be able to not pass on the costs of tools and transport. I probably have around 10 grands worth of tools and gear on my van, all that money has to come from somewhere.

28. HarryW

HarryW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The proof is in the pudding, roll-on ISF treatment. I'll keep you all informed.

29. X6TUS

X6TUS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat there. I feel I am a very skilled home enthusiast too and as much as I would be happy to spend that money its really difficult to justify how much improvement for the price I am going to see in what I believe is already a fantasic image after running the DVE disk.
    I'd hate to have someone come round, calibrate it, hand over £300 quid and then look at the image and think 'hmm i can't tell the difference from before'. I'd feel a right mug.
    However, don't get me wrong I think that you guys do an excellant job and you are paid for your skills - I'm just trying to justify the price and change in quality.

Gareth.

30. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Ok,

if you are happy with the image then dont get it done. if you are unhappy then an isf calibration can give very good results. Its not just using the user menu and moving the contrast up and down you know.

The main engineers sevrice menu has to be got in to, then all the inputs calibrated with a pc/lap top and a colour analiser. This is skilled work and can take some time to get right.Normally the grey scale is adjusted and the overscan also sorted out as well.