1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISF Calibration

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    A few questions:

I have yet to buy a plasma, but now I am learning a bit about them I fancy a 50" PW8 or PV500 :thumbsup: when they come out...
    I think a panel would suit me more than a Viera but I have a few questions... :confused:

Would a panel give the best picture once calibrated?
    Once HD stuff comes out, would there still be a need for a scaler?
    Can you calibrate the Viera? Does it give good results?
    Can you use a scaler with a Viera?
    Do you have to get the plasma calibrated in situ?

That's it, I think, it's getting late :boring:

Thanks

Mal

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol...morning!

i had similar issues to you mate..loads of advice here but most importantly all agree that Full ISF by a professional (Piers or Gordon here for example )...is really mandatory after 200 hours use. No debate no question. Best upgrade you wil ever make i hear and wait to see wiv my own eyes.

search for ISF Calibration and the threads will come up.

Regards

Dil

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    You can calibrate a Vierra or a display panel. I'd not use a scaler with a Vierra...I'd not buy a Vierra. (Before the Vierra owners pop up I know you like them I'm jsut saying that I wouldn't buy one)

Will you need a scaler when HD arrives. Well your display needs to process HD just as it needs to process SD. The question will be whether the scaler will do a better job than the panel itself. I suspect that some definately will and others may not.

Gordon

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gordon - interested to know why you're agin the new Vieras? I can understand that the previous ones were a bit crippled, but won't the new HD ones not be a lot better?

What are the alternatives within the next few months? A non-HD-ready PHD7 (rotten resale value in a few years time even with warranty), a Pioneer MXE (HD-ready? Those HDMI cards aren't going to be cheap, when they ever appear), the Pioneer FDE/XDE (HD-ready, but some people just don't like 'em), and, I suppose, the new Fujitsu 42" (not a patch on the 50", IMHO)...

In that context, the new G8 screen looks like a pretty good deal to me, without that many compromises.

Interested in your opinion.

5. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mal - if youre after a 50", get the Fujitsu 40-series added to your list. I should have some feedback soon, when mine arrives. im definitely having mine ISF-ed.

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    the panal only plasmas are more calibration friendly for starters. Also the Viera use's the acuity chasis from the pd30/50 range of crts which can lead to some minor problems with low bitrate sky broadcasts. this is also noticable with some of the crts from panasonic as well.

I own a viera though :thumbsup:

the VGA port on the old viera is on the front where as the one on the panal, i think ,is at the bottom of the frame of the panal. this makes for some connection dificulties as well with unsightly leads comming from the front of the Viera not being a very nice thing to look at.

7. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The new 500 series Viera seems to have sorted the VGA issue out, anyway... What exactly do you mean by low-bitrate problems on SKY?

I don't mean to derail the thread, because if there are calibration issues with the Viera then that affects my choice of plasma...

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    gordon did my calibration on my Viera. I dont think that it is a problem as such, it is just easier to get in to the service menu system to make the adjust on the panal models.

The acuity proccessing on the Viera has difficulty handeling low quality transmissions from sky. you end up with some colour noise and movement(sometimes) when you should not have any. with DVDs and gaming this problem does not appear

either choice of plasma is a good one,
    you have to way up the pros and cons of what you actually want out of the plasma, what you are going to connect it to and how, is it going to be wall mounted, do you need externall speakers or are you happy with just an amp.

onec you have considered this, try and get a good demo of both and see what you like better. :thumbsup:

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I'm not talking about products that do not yet exist n this country I am talking about the current Vierra. I'll wait till the UK ones arrive and I get to see one before making any comments about that. Spec's mean nothing.

Currently I feel that the D7 or the MXE's are the top dogs. Forget about HDCP non compliance on the MXE. You can use an external scaler and an HDCP "compatability" device and you have HDCP to them.

Gordon

10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    Thanks for your replies...

Is the Fujistsu one based on the PW7 or the PW8?
    Will the pirices be much more than a PW8?
    I will have to wait a few months to save up as I am moving house shortly and the stamp duty, moving costs etc. would have bought me a few plasmas :( I will have to save up again, so I am in no rush.
    I think a panel is best as I want to hang it above a fireplace :rolleyes: and I am using a BOSE lifestyle for my audio, and I may plug a PC in eventually.

Gordon, How much would you charge to come down to calibrate it?

Mal

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I have a flat fee of £250. No idea what generation of glass they use in fUJI.

gORDON

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    I meant how much would you charge for travelling, it would be a 300 mile round trip?

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    As I said it's a flat £250 fee. I arrange to see folk on trips so the travel and accomodation is shared within the fee structure. Only downside is you need to wait for a trip...usually one or two every month....and Preston is right beside the M6 so it wouldnt be too hard to nip off to see you on way up or down to sunny London village. Next trip is early/mid April.

G

14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    OK, thanks for that.
    Why does no one seem to do ISF calibration, it is expensive to set up or something?
    Just need to save up now :(

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ther are currently 6 people offering ISF in the UK IIRC Gordon and Piers who both offer service are forum members and advertisers

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Well I've gone through 3 measuring devices costing me from £1500-£2500 in the space of 3 years....and then there was the training that I flew to Canada for.....and then there's the fact that there was no demand a few years ago...and even now there isn't enough to make a living just offering this service.....

Gordon

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    That explains it, thanks... :thumbsup:

Just a quickie, I have a BOSE lifestyle system, I know everyone slates BOSE but it does the job for me, can they be audio calibrated or would it be a waste of time?

18. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    does calibration really make that much difference? for £250 I would expect a huge improvement :eek:

19. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    there's plenty of folk here who have had it done and rave about it...I certainly will get it done.....as a proportion of the cost of your av kit....and to get the best from that investment it's a small price to pay.

20. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Gordon,

Have you managed to try one of these HDCP "compatibility" devices yet? ;) I would definitely be interested in one should they handle 50Hz signals well.

Steve

21. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Dutch: thought this had been covered in other thread....first tried on last Oct/Nov.....used HDMI out of G98 Meridian to a Lumagen HDP Pro then analogue out to a CRT PJ. Worked ok'.....sure it worked at 50Hz....

I know it wont work with Arcam DV79/29 just now as the EDID it reports is not one the Arcams are happy with....I'd expect this means it wont work withsome other devices and I suspect that's where the issues folk talk about with 50Hz come from.

I know of a couple of forum members who use them with their Denon3910's through Lumagens and not through Lumagens to MXE1'S.....and they work fine with all region discs.....this is with the DVI to 2 DVI models not the DVI to VGA ones....and frankly if you want analogue from DVI output you're much better off going with a good scaler with great d to a's than a cheap convertor box.

Gordon

22. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Thanks Gordon,

I was thinking of using one for a future HD DVD player which I'm fairly certain would only output HD from an HDMI.

Steve