ISF calibration worth it?

bsimmer3000

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok i have been very happy with the picture on my Plasma but keep seeing threads about people tweaking their sets and getting ISF calibrations. I have used the DVE disc to set up my tv and didnt have to really ajust any settings different to how i judge with my eye. But i have been reading about these ISF calibration and are they really worth the money they charge? I have seen sites where they have had before and after pics from the companys that do them and to be honest if my picture looked anything like the before pic on some sites i would be returning the tv. But the after pictures look just like my tv did from new? Are these calibrations just another OTT option like expensive hdmi leads and expensive power cables? I have seen Runco sets which have been ISF calibrated but to be honest they didnt make me think im gonna get mine done.

Are they really worth it?

depends on the set really i guess

mine made a huge difference

HD films are just mind blowingly beyond belief good looking, cinema doesnt even come close now.

down side is alot of my sky SD has blown reds which look awefull, i suspect i need a seperate calibration for sky SD ...

Depends entirely on the set, a Vierra for example isn't the best candidate for ISF calibration, it's cousins the commercial panels however are.

I think it's somewhat of a waste of money on some TV's and criminal not to on others.

Ok i have been very happy with the picture on my Plasma but keep seeing threads about people tweaking their sets and getting ISF calibrations. I have used the DVE disc to set up my tv and didnt have to really ajust any settings different to how i judge with my eye. But i have been reading about these ISF calibration and are they really worth the money they charge? I have seen sites where they have had before and after pics from the companys that do them and to be honest if my picture looked anything like the before pic on some sites i would be returning the tv. But the after pictures look just like my tv did from new? Are these calibrations just another OTT option like expensive hdmi leads and expensive power cables? I have seen Runco sets which have been ISF calibrated but to be honest they didnt make me think im gonna get mine done.

Are they really worth it?
Hi bsimmer3000 :)
If you want the best picture possible from your TV then i would recommend having it calibrated. :smashin:
Made a huge improvement to my viewing pleasure and you just want to watch or your old movies again,just to see how improved they look. :cool:
No more fiddling with picture settings again either...................ever. :D
You feel smug because you know your using your gear to it's full potential. :)
Recommended. :thumbsup:

depends on the set really i guess

mine made a huge difference

HD films are just mind blowingly beyond belief good looking, cinema doesnt even come close now.

down side is alot of my sky SD has blown reds which look awefull, i suspect i need a seperate calibration for sky SD ...
HD and SD signals are supposed to use different colourspaces. What's your Sky box set to output? Is it on Auto?

HD and SD signals are supposed to use different colourspaces. What's your Sky box set to output? Is it on Auto?

never looked, ill check later

ive been kinda living with it becuase the calibration is very exspensive (but worth it) and hd looks so damn good

ISF calibration can be applied to any display device as long as there are controls for certain areas of the picture.

One thing that people need to get their head around is that to calibrate the TV properly you need thousands of pounds worth of equipment, this cost is offset by charging for the calibration services, plus a competent calibrator has years of experience with a wide range of products. One thing that will hit you straight away is the temprature of the image as it will no doubt be lower than the out of the box settings, but once set correctly the pay off is added detail and a more natural picture, plus an extended life to your panel as it is working in an efficent manner.

Many who say it's not worth it, have never seen what a properly calibrated image looks like, it might be an idea to try and see one which has been done so you can see the benefits.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom