1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISF calibration by Convergent AV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by StooMonster, Nov 30, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    After a year of trying to sync diaries between Gordon, myself and a mate; I've finally had my Pansonic series 5 50" plasma ISF calibrated (and mate did not).

From what I'd heard, manufacturers don't set screens up to look best at home but to stand when competing against other displays at retail. ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) calibration is an in-depth adjustment of every aspect of a display's picture to adjust geometry, colour temperature, and most importantly greyscale.

Useful article to explain the detail is here.

Does it look "better"?

Err... yes, quite significantly. StooMonster Jnr wanted 'Scooby Doo' R2 as first film on afterwards -- we've seen it dozens of times and know each pixel inside and out -- and Mrs StooMonster commented that pictures looks "clearer, like it has more definition, and the skin tones look natural" which is high praise form someone who knows nothing about AV.

So far only tested PAL component input, with NTSC component and PAL RGB (for Sky via iScan Ultra) to go, but I have to say that so far I am impressed; it looked good on Gordon's test discs, but with material I am familiar with it's a much bigger difference to the overall picture and really brought out the best in Arcam FMJ DV27+ and plasma.

Thanks Gordon, great job.

StooMonster

2. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    so how much was it??
    i am seriously considering this but it wont be until next year!!

jason

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    You should contact Gordon and discuss prices with him, as there as some variables; but don't expect it to be cheap.

StooMonster (still grinning at effective system upgrade)