1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IScanHD+ and Optoma RD50 problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chris5, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi everyone.

I'm having a problem setting up the correct framerate to use with my Optoma RD50 and was wondering if my following problem is due to my iscan not being professionally setup, or a design problem with my RD50.

I locked my PAL framerate to 50Hz and switched on the framerate test pattern. The bar move left-right smoothly, but about every 6 seconds (about one pass of the bar) I would get a big jump (jump about half the width of the moving bar). The best I can get it is unlocked at 49.70 Hz where the jump is not so prominent. I also tried the 4 sync options with not much success.

This problem does also manifest itself with an image, ie not just the test pattern.

On another note fyi, I could only get 1:1 pixel mapping when the RD50 was set to PC DVI, not video DVI - it took about 2 hours to work that out.

By the way, The set does support both 48Hz & 72Hz input for NTSC. the judder is slightly reduced using these over 60Hz, but not much.

I was also disappointed to discover the HD+ does not accept 576i, only 576p which means I can't use its superior deinterlace circuit but have to rely on the dvd player.

Thanks

Chris

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not familiar with the TV chris so cant help with that i am afraid mate. The Iscan HD+ can have an optional SDi input which i ampretty sure can use the 576i 480i outputs from DVD etc
    From http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_app.html Data sheet.

EDIT just noticed tehre was a recent software upgrade http://www.dvdo.com/update/index.html as of Jan 05 are you running latest software?

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Chris,

The following might be a useful read:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176400

Seems like the RD50 doesn't like NTSC, although PAL should be OK. I think the thread has some recommendations on the native resoltuion and framerates for the display.

As you have found, the Iscan DVI input doesn't like Interlaced - however I believe DVDO are workign on this, although it hasn't been promised 100%. As HD says, SDI is an option and this is designed to fully support interlaced and then pass this straight to the HD for scaling and deinterlacing. The SDI card is about £200 and you will need an SDI modded STB or DVD player.

Have you considered using component to the RD50 as this may achieve what you need and may offer a quality of 99% that of DVI? (digital doesn't always mean better ;))

CHeers

JJ

4. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi Jo, I am aware of 60Hz issues with the Rd50. It would appear that the rd50 internal framerate is not 50Hz exactly, but just underneath, I quess I''ll discover what it is in a month or two of tweaking.

I have ordered the SDI input (as I was planning of upgrading my sky+ box), can my Pioneer 868 be updated to output SDI? and from where?, if not does anybody know where I can get an SDI output DVD player?

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I am having my Denon modded by Elliot @ PJ Hifi check out the following thread (your pioneer is mentioned):

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156065

If not, try ther following:

www.pluggedin.tv
    www.jvbdigital.com

Cheers

JJ

6. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks JJ, this was what I was looking for. Trouble is should I update my sky+ box which will be used all the time and will receive biggest picture improvement, or update my DVD player to free up my one dvi input for when sky HD comes along.

Would 576i into my scaler be that much better than 576P anyway?

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I dont have sky, so cant really comment on SDI version. Quite a few poeple do have SDI sky though...loonatic comes to mind??? I can only do my DVD so that is why it is being SDI'd to get the very best out of it and also free up a YUV input, as discussed.

Re 576i vs 7576p - It depends how good your source is at deinterlacing I guess. Inputting 'i' into the HD lets is do the deinterlacing "inhouse" as it were. Inputting 'p' lets your source do the deinterlacing and the HD then just scales the picture.

So the question is 'i' vs 'p' = 'source deinterlace quaility' vs 'hd deinterlace quaility' - hard to answer without trying it...

JJ

8. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I think i'm going to get better benefit by upgrading my sky to SDI, then in 18 months when sky HD (with hdmi) comes along I'll upgrade / buy an SDI dvd player to free up my one DVI input.

I've also finally fixed my 50Hz judder problem by setting my IScan to output 49.83 Hz.

Chris.

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Cool! :thumbsup:

49.83, what a nice round number for them to use! :rolleyes:

10. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Yeah, what I don't understand is how come you dont get judder problems when connecting up a dvd player to the DVI input or presumably any other consumer product.

Come to think of it, I have seen it on all demos in Comet etc when driven from a PC and at the Heathrow show the rep blammed it on the hard disk not supplying a constant transfer rate, I did not believe him then, I definately dont believe him now.
    every now and again you would get this odd jump, but setting 49.83Hz fixes it for me anyway