Iscan with Sharp XV-z91

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KeithO, Jul 3, 2003.

1. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Do any of you knowledgeable chaps (and chapesses :D ) think it would be worthwhile adding an Iscan Pro to my Sharp XV-Z91 DLP projector? And would it be complete overkill to try an Iscan Ultra?

I'm not enormously well up on the technicalities of line doublers and scalers and stuff so a bit of advice in layman's terms would be appreciated.

TIA

2. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    No-one?! :confused:

3. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wondered about this as well, as Sky broadcasts really do suffer on the big screen.

No one got any thoughts??

I have searched back through the forums and seems like everyone raves about the improvements to be had by going with the Iscan.

Dave.

4. asle

asle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello KeithO,
    can't help you with your original question, but hope you can help me.
    I was planning to get the sharpz90, but I understand the z91 can give a larger projection on a shorter distance right?!
    Well, as my projection wall space is limited physically, I would like to find out the projection size compared to projector distance, so I can see if gteting the z91 would be worthwile.
    I suppose this size-distnace matrix is in your manual, would you be so kind to see if you can give it to me?

What's your opinion on your z91, is it noisy? did you mount it on the ceiling? anything you don't like about it?

cheers!

5. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hi
    yes the z91 does give a large image in a small room. 2m projector to screen gives me an image 5ft wide. the picture is outstanding,no rainbow effects,needs a fully darkened though.

my advice,buy one.
    p.s. i will be borrowing a friends iscan box next week,will post my comments.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    The reason there are no answers is that I guess no-one has tried it to see. How much of an improvement depends on the qality of the video processing inside the projector.

In the projector the incoming analogue signals go through a colour TV decoder, are digitised, go through a de-interlacing solution then a scaling one until they finally drive the panel. Plenty of areas where PJ manufacturers generally scrimp on costs.

Products like external video processors are optimised to get the best picture quality from a moving image. Of course, even then not all are created equal. See if you can borrow an Iscan and see if you can borrow one of the Lumagen Vision scalers I distribute as well as that could be another great option (at greater cost though)

Gordon

7. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    asle, I am very happy with it...great picture, no rainbow (that I can detect anyway, but some people are more susceptible than others). I have it mounted on a stand (like a tall coffee table). It's not especially noisy, unnoticeable if you have a decent surround sound system. The z91 is exactly the same as the z90, except for the short throw lens

you can get a copy of the manual here:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=676

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    KeithO

Another option is I have a Quadscan pro which has an option to utput an SVGA (800x600) signal which I believe is the resolution of the Z90/Z91 panel.

When I tried an iScan pro and a Centrestage CS1 in place of the QS Pro a while back I could see absolutely no difference whatsoever, so determined that the QS Pro was a s good as them.

Why am I saying this? Well, I am looking to sell the QS Pro so if you wanted to try it out then for the cost of postage only I would be willing to send it to you to try. If it did then you could send a cheque, if not then just return it. Obviously I would siomply ask that you look after it. If this appeals to you then please let me know.

BTW, the classified thread for it is http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85490

9. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Gordon, thanks, I'll see if I can borrow one.

filmman, let me know how it looks.

10. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hi keitho
    tried a iscan pro,looks great.image a lot cleaner,better detail and the picture seems brighter. no picture drop out or freezing

i have only watched two films with the iscan( The Hours and Gangs of New York) so i will post again soon.