1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan/upconverters (Help)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fatrich, Jun 21, 2001.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    :confused: having recently purchased the sanyo plv-30(very pleased with it) i am trying to get the full potential out of it, at the moment it's hooked up to a pioneer 737 dvd player and whilst ntsc disk's are a lot better than pal region 2 material i wonder if the iscan box every body is talking about will improove not only region 2 but region 1 as well (even though i put region 1 through progressive scan)Does anyone know the best way to hook it up?. Also the projector i noticed will accept 720p but the pioneer will only output 480p, can i get a device to that will up convert from 480p to 720p ( i played around with the projector remote and changed the input from automatic to 720p to see what happened, i the picture looked clearer but the bottom portion of the picture was covered in about half a dozen thick purple lines does anyone what thats all about ?).

Look forward to hearing from you

fatman

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    There are some scalers that can up-convert one line doubled signal to a higher resolution, but they are substantially more costly than the iScan. I'm sure Gordon may have more exact info, but you'll be looking at the thick end of £5K. That's a pretty serious investment with a £2500 projector.

The PLV30 can accept higher resolutions than 480p, but this is for compatibility with the American and Japanese High Definition TV markets.

Trying the 720p resolution with a 480p source (i.e. your Pioneer or an iScan) will result in a distorted or partially obscured picture. This is because the source signal won't be mapped correctly onto the LCD panel if the projector resolution is set incorrectly.

Stick to 480p for NTSC and 575p for Pal progressive signals.

RE: iScan vs Pioneer.
    The iScan uses better processing which results in a cleaner image.

The other benefit is that the iScan can be used with all of your other video souces i.e. satellite, VCR, off air TV through the VCR, Laserdisc etc.

Regards

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    As Chris says you can do the 480P - 720P thing but it's a bit of overkill. Our dem Vigatec does it but it's £4500....

The reality is that the PLV30 has an 800 x 600 pixel array. So that is the ideal resolution. There are scalers available that will take the interlaced component outs of the 737 and turn them in to a progressive signal at 800 x 600. This would probably give you the best picture from the PLV30 after an Iscan or higher quality prog scan DVD player. Scalers though tend to be at least twice the price of an Iscan.....

The advantage the off board units like the Iscan have is that, as Chris says, they make all inputs better, not just DVD.

Go and see if you can get a dem of one compared to your 737. You may find it's just what you need.

Gordon

4. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    :) thank you to chris and gordon for your explanation, but can anyone explain how to connect the iscan to the plv-30,via the pioneer 737 at the moment the dvd and projector are connected via a component cable i heard that you have to use component to vga lead from the iscan is this correct.

many thanks

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Don't say it has gone up, I thought it was £3500.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    The Iscan has a HD15(VGA STYLE) output socket. It can be configured to output either component or rgbhv through that output. You will need an adaptor or new cable to connect your current component leads from your projector.

Dominic,

The VC1280 is £3500 ish, poss sligtly less. It doesn't accept progressive inputs but can be modded to have the optional SDI input. The GVC1280 is just over £4000 and also has the ability to accept progressive signals of 480P and 720P I believe which it can re-scale to other output resolutions. Obvioulsy this is of more use in the USA where they actually get progressive signals from set top boxes and DVD players ;)

Gordon
    (back from his travels with a box that says NEC on the back.......)

7. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When my Davis DLS8 has a signal from my iScan pro fed into its 15 pin VGA input socket, the Davis internal scaler does a pretty good job of scaling the display up to the full 800 x 600 native resolution of the DLP chip. This apparently works on most if not all Davis projectors, does it do the same for other projectors?
    MikeD

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Mike,
    Most recent data capable single lens projectors will scale a lower resolution signal so that it fills the display panel. Of course, some do it better than others.

Those projectors that can't do this trick will normally display the line doubled image in a smaller window. The result looks like the image has been shrunk.

Regards

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you looking at that sort of money £3.5k+ for a scaller the LCD, DLP & Plasma users should also conside The Rock.

It can be set to the resolution of the display divice. This will reduce the work (the often less than capable) on board scaller has to do to nill.