1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan ultra

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steevs, Apr 16, 2003.

1. steevs

steevs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Does anyone have one? If so what are the results like, I've looked around on the net and the reviews look pretty good, does anyone know of any uk stockists?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I've had an iScan Ultra running with a Panny5 50" for some time; I bought one as soon as they were available, from great dealer Ivojo

I use the iScan Ultra to improve picture quality of SkyDigital, games console, VCR and camcorder; I already have an excellent progressive-scan DVD that goes directly to the screen. I also plan to use "pass-through" for a PC later.

This is also with JS-Tech RGB2YUC convertor to change SkyDigital's RGB to YUC; as iScan Ultra can not accept RGB signals.

On my screen the improvement to Sky is pronounced, with higher bit-rate channels it's almost as good as an expensive prog-scan DVD player; and even low bit rate channels look very good. Games look higher resolution, VCR is more impressive than I thought it could be.

One of the best features is the chroma-bug fixer that gets rid of the beast from Sky; essential on a big screen.

However...

Some people with other screens report this unit has little effect for them. Check out the Progressive Scan group on this board. Pioneer 43" MXE owners in particular have had problems; and some people with with lower resolutions screens (e.g. 852*480) report an improvement, but not the huge difference seen on say 1365*768.

Therefore...

Check that your screen is going to be compatible before spending money, preferably get a test or demo.

Consider that to get the best from Sky you'll need to buy a JS-Tech RGB2YUV converter too @ £130+VAT and decent cables so you won't get any change out of a grand.

StooMonster

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would echo all the above comments and add that you should definitely demo it. You may find that with the extra processing you will get more pronounced lip sync delay .......another thing you will then have to overcome by delaying the audio signal from your amp or with a device like the Vigatec Wave.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Just to clarify things a bit -as a 433MXE owner I did not have problems with the ultra, it just didn't improve the PQ enough to warrant the cost.

5. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    NexNix very kindly loaned me an Ultra to demo with my Fujitsu P50 but I wasn't overly impressed with it. I fed it an S-Video signal and compared the VGA output with an RGB SCART signal (a slightly unfair comparison I'll admit, but it meant that I could easily switch between them).

The Ultra image was definitely different (sort of sharper but flatter) but I preferred the RGB image. I didn't have time to play with all the settings on both the monitor or the Ultra, which could well have made a difference, but my initial (subjective) impressions were that I preferred the Fujitsu's internal processing.

The lip-sync problem was also very noticeable, although the upside of this would have been its use as a justification for a new amplifier...

6. Mike Spurr

Mike Spurr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Hitachi 42PD3000 Plasma, a Panasonic DMRE55 DVD Recorder and Sky Plus Version one. Does any one have similar in conjunction with an IScan Ultra. How is Sky received by the 42PD3000?