1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iScan Ultra worth a try ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by harrisuk, Jul 7, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Anyyone in the know think an iScan Ultra will produce a decent improvement in the picture quality from NTL to my ae500 ?

Seems dead in here not getting an answer in the PJ forum :(

2. JJCoolSpray

JJCoolSpray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen it and reckon it's not a patch on the Cinemateq Picture Optimiser.
    But it is a personal thing at this level, so take a careful look at both before you buy.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not heard of the Cinemateq Picture Optimiser before. How much is it ?

4. JJCoolSpray

JJCoolSpray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to find out myself. I gather the one with SDI input is around £1260ish - fairly high end. But the midrange one - which is the same but without SDI input is £990 or something like that.
    They've both got Digital outputs, so the non-sdi unit will be fine unless you're using a DVD player with SDI out.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mmmm. Well is it worth spending that much when the projector ws only £1000. Probably not. Do you know if the iScan Ultra will provide a significantly better picture on the likes of SKy ? NTL. I can get one alot cheaper than that...

Really struggling to get any opinions on this at all to be honest :rolleyes:

6. JJCoolSpray

JJCoolSpray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Dad used to say you can't polish a turd, so there's no way you can make a crappy SD-compressed sky image look fantastic.

It is a load of money when your projector was only £1k. The key is that if you use this picture optimiser sort of thing, the signal will come into the projector digitally, thus bypassing the crappy internal processor (which was made to a low price point), and go straight to the LCD or DLP panels. So it will dramatically lift the performance of your projector.

But whether it's worth it or not on such a low cost projector... hard to say. Will make a big difference though - even with sky.
    You should try Sevenoaks for a demo or something.