1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iscan ultra findings/advice needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rdt123, Feb 28, 2004.

1. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all,

I have just installed an iscan ultra to my system and i thought i'd post my findings. At the same time i would like to ask for a little advice.

I have run a dv88+ into an AX10i through component. I have also connected my sky+ digibox by component via a RGB>Comp convertor. The iscan then connects to a PW5 42" plasma by a bettercables silver serpent VGA cable.

Results....

1) DVD - no difference, not too suprising given the quality of the DVD player and the D-A, A-D addition. I have to say though that it is on a par with the players component output.

2) sky+ - dramatic improvement was noticable even immediately on looking at the tv guide screen. Everything was much clearer, if a little softer. The conference live game tonight while not perfect was at least watchable and live sports have been a big problem in the past.

Generally i'm happy that i can now switch sound and vision through the amp.

So has it been worth the money? To be honest i'm not sure. Maybe if i had a less capable player it would be. You wouldn't pay this amount for an improvement in a tv picture. Having said this i have yet to adjust any settings on the iscan. I ran DVE when i instslled it but i would be interested to hear what settings people are using?

The picture on sky is much better but there is a lip sync problem.
    I am noticing a definite, noticable delay on my system now, some sky channels are worse than others.

Can i delay the sound from my AX10I? Sometimes the problem is not noticable but on some channels its unwathable.

rt

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do a search for stoomonster he posted his iscan settings.

you should see a improvment from dv88+ into iscan rather than the dv88+ going straight to plasma in progressive. put something like toy story/blade 1 were there is red writing. with the dv88+ it shows the chroma bug, through the iscan it dont , as the iscan has a chroma filter which removes this.

saying that i prefer the dv88+ going straight to plasma . picture my film like.

here are my settings they might be some use.
    i have set all my picture setting on plasma to 0 with gamma to2.2

iscan ultra

brightness -10
    contrast 00
    saturation 00
    hue 00
    y/c delay 00
    sharpness +3
    fine detail +3
    chroma filter on

3. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    cheers jmack i'll try them

One strange thing i notice is the RGB to YUV convertor. I have to swap U and V around to get the right picture. Don't know why. Sky is much better. Chroma filter works well.

4. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Intereting to note that i have both the dvd and sky+ connected and seem to have no centreing issues at all. This is surprising considering previous posts. Has anyone else found this?

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The AX10i has an Audio Delay feature to sort this out, probably accessed from the main setup menu.:)