1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iscan ultra component input problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by robbie153, Jul 1, 2005.

1. robbie153

robbie153
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had any experience with the iscan ultra. My problem is when I connect my DVD player to the iscan using component cables I get a double picture that's very unstable. One whole picture next to the other. This only happens when the video output is set to rgb in the DVD's menu.My DVD player is a denon 2800mkII.
    I can get a picture if I change the DVD output to s-video even if I only use a component cable but the quality of the picture is worse than if I don't use the iscan at all.
    using an s-video cable works ok too but the quality is not very good at all. I bought this hoping to improve my sky picture but when I use an s-video cable and compare the results to the picture from an rbg scart the scart is far better.
    this is actually my second iscan ultra , the first went back as faulty. I hope someone can point out if im doing something wrong or at least confirm my suspicion than I have another faulty unit. :suicide:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    robbie153

The DVDO iScan Ultra is a Deinterlacer - you need to set your DVD player to Output Interlaced YUV not Progressive YUV; otherwise the Ultra is trying to Deinterlace a Progressive signal (causing the weird effects your seeing).

Best regards

Joe

PS Why are you introducing an Ultra into your system?

3. robbie153

robbie153
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe, thanks for you reply. To answer you second question first. Im trying to improve the sky picture on my plasma.I have also been told using a deinterlacer and a dvi cable will give a better picture from DVD's than using progressive scan component.I am also thinking of getting a vga to component cable to connect my pj to the iscan.
    I have found the problem might be with my denon 2800.when I turn off the progressive scan and the blue light goes out on the front the player is supposed to be outputting an interlaced signal.when I the connect the player direct to my pj it is showing that the player is actually outputting a progressive signal.
    on the plus side it says the iscan is working fine but I don't know what to do with the DVD player.
    thanks . robert

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    I recall hearing someone say that progressive output Denon DVD players do not output interlaced video at all. Progressive from 2800 II is probably pretty good anyway.

Good luck with Sky - what interfaces are you going to use?

Careful with the VGA to component cable - can the iscan actually output component from the VGA?

Nick

5. robbie153

robbie153
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im not sure what interface to use for the sky to iscan. some places I read that a scart to component cable is ok then the next thing I read says need to use something like a j.s. tech rgb scart to component converter.
    for the connection to my sony vpl-hs1 pj I already have a sic-hs20 component to multi input. so I have a choice of getting an sic-hs30 vga to multi input cable from sony or a vga to component converter from js. tech.
    as for the denon outputting progressive all the time would l loose quality by using an rgb scart to component into the iscan. or would it be worth changing the DVD player to one that can deliver an interlaced component signal.
    any suggestions would be very helpful. Robert

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    hello robbie153

Lots of worms wriggling in one can :)

Denon DVD Player - I believe its the newer models with the DVI/HDMI output that only Output Progressive once they have been Region hacked.

Have you tried R1 and R2 discs; no matter you should be able to set it to Output Interlaced YUV.

If it is stuck on 480P and 576P you have an Analogue Pass through port on the iScanUltra so you can at least switch it via the iScan (though the Pass Through source only Outputs on the HD15(VGA) analogue socket).

It would be complete madness to externally convert the Progressive YUV Output from the DVD player back to Interlaced to then re process the signal back to Progressive via the iScanUltra; doubly so when you realise Denon use the exact same Silicon Image Deinterlacing chip that's at the heart of the iScanUltra!!!

Plasma Display - what do you have?

iScanUltra - its not an automatic assumption that adding the iScanUltra is going to gain you anything over whatever processing is onboard your Display; many Displays have relatively sophisticated Deinterlacing these days.

You may have to stretch the budget to a full blown Processor such as the iScanHD, HD+ or similar from a competing manufacturer to make a big difference in your system.

SKY - the iScanUltra is limiting you to using Composite from SKY or S-Video from SKY+; not ideal when both boxes have RGB outputs. Again another reason to consider the iScanHD or HD+ as these are compatible with the RGB Outputs from SKY and SKY+.

Best regards

Joe

7. robbie153

robbie153
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi and thanks for trying to help but im now more confused than ever.lol

perhaps I didn't explain properly what im trying to do. the reason for the iscan is actually two fold.

firstly as I said im trying to improve the sky picture and perhaps you could help a little with that , you have said that I am limited to composite or s-video, does that mean that it isn't an option to take an rgb signal from the scart socket and run it through a j.s. tech rgb to yuv converter and then connecting this to the iscan. therefore giving me progressive rgb.

the second reason for the iscan was that I could connect the plasma using the dvi output from the iscan and my pj using the vga output. therefore allowing me to at the flick of a switch to choose the display I wanted to use for every component connected to the iscan.

please could anyone let me know if I am wrong about my thoughts on connecting the sky box, I have tried using the s-video out to the iscan and the resulting image is worse than rgb over a scart lead connected directly.
    would using this same method from the dvd player result in a lowering of image quality.

if I cant get it to work any better for me I guess I will shortly be selling an ever so slightly used iscan ultra and then be looking at different (probably more expensive) options.

thanks to all , robert

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello robbie153

Converting RGB to YUV ahead of the iScanUltra is an option - though with the RGB compatible iScanHD having an SRP of £685.00 the iScanUltra + RGB2YUV converter (combined SRP £544.00) doesn't look too hot a deal; especially so when you factor in an additional set of YUV cables!

I'd also say a Lumagen VisionDVI may have been a better choice (SRP £695.00) as you can set up multiple Output profiles so if you have multiple Display devices attached you can have Optimised settings for each Display device (at both 50 and 60Hz).

I'd go back to your supplier and ask to Upgrade to the iScanHD or a Lumagen VisionDVI; or get a supplier that asks some questions and suggest appropriate solutions :)

Best regards

Joe

9. robbie153

robbie153
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks for that, i think i will follow your advice and for the upgrade as it now looks like i havnt made the best decision in this case. it will teach me to ask more questions first in the future.
    thanks again . robert