1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan ultra ceases to exist

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PFM, Feb 9, 2005.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well it has in my house anyway...

Turned on my system, (Sony 7700 DVD, Iscan Ultra, Barco 708s & audio kit), and absolutely no picture whatsoever :(

Three hours later after diagnosing the entire video feed, everythings ok except the iscan.

I have power the unit, switching capabiltiy but no picture processing from the output to the Barco.

I can get a pass through signal to the PJ using the bypass switch and I can even toggle across inputs using the remote. But I cant access any of the Output controls, or Picture controls.

The unit was absolutely fine yesterday, it has just ceased be. :mad:

It was only 15 months old from AV-sales, I would have expected at least 2-5 years out of a unit costing over £500 :thumbsdow

Anyone had any issues of this sort with the ultra?

And on the night of the England match :suicide:

2. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I know it's not the point, but you missed nothing football wise.

3. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep, the days getting progressively worse (no pun intended) :rolleyes:

4. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried resetting the unit, it's mentioned in the manual.

5. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well Folks I have to say that I am very impressed with DVDO, their customer support has emboldened itself with all the qualities you would expect from a manufacturer of high end cinema equipment.

After a single email to their customer support and a few returned diagnostic questions DVDO customer support sent me the following:

"What I can do is have your Ultra serviced under warrantee at the UK distributor, Owl Video. I will let them know that this has been authorized, even though it is a few months past 1 year. This will give you a working Ultra again. If you are still interested in upgrading to HD+, please be assured that our products are normally very reliable, and that faulty units are well under the industry standard. We hope that the performance of our products and the customer service that we provide to our customers in the event that an issue arises warrants repeat business. If you reply to me with some more information, I can arrange with the distributor to have your unit fixed."

They certainly have secured my repeat business, and I think that this may just have proved the companies commitment to their customers in the UK & European market.

Well Done DVDO Customer Support!
    Other Manufacturers take note :lesson:

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    That's how to look after customers and ensure their future business.

Cheers,

Martin.

7. GrahamW42

GrahamW42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hope this doesn't offend anyone as a breach of forum etiquette … but I am resurrecting this old thread.

The reason being that my iScan Ultra has suddenly exhibited the EXACT SAME problem as described by PFM.

Namely, the output has declined over the course of a couple of weeks from flickery to blank … and whilst the remote can indeed toggle between inputs (albeit with any visible effect other than to change the blue LEDs on the facia) all of the buttons on the unit remain stubbornly inactive and no Output or Picture controls can be called up by the remote.

It is sobering to be brought face-to-face with just how much you rely on a previously rock-solid piece of kit :eek:(

Has anyone else had this problem and do they know a cure ?

I have tried contacting DVDO directly as PFM did – the only email address I could find was “help@DVDO.com”. However, I sent the email on Thursday morning and haven't heard a peep by Monday afternoon – not even the common “we have received your email and will attempt to reply with x working days”.

Have I got the wrong address ?

I need to get the unit fixed because I am now forced to use other (multiple) inputs to get Sky and DVD onto my screen (scart and component respectively) … and it is painfully obvious that my attempts at picture settings are nowhere as good as the ones Gordon set up for me via the iScan (using the DVI input).

Help.

Graham

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I know DVDO are very busy at the moment, and sometimes when small companies get busy their customer service levels (especially by email) may not be as good as at other times.

You could try telephoning DVDO on 00-1-866-423-3836; and to note, landline international calls to USA are typically cheaper than calling a mobile phone in UK. Also to note, they are 8 hours behind us in California.

Alernatively, you could try Owl Video Systems Ltd on 01825 766-123 who are the official UK distributors and support.

StooMonster