1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan Ultra and Pioneer 433

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by philipb, Dec 12, 2002.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Having got all excited over the Iscan ultra with DVI out and the possibility of hooking it up to my Pioneer 433, the nice man at Owl says the Pioneer probably won't work with an Iscan.

It may be he is talking about the HDE not the MXE - anybody using a 433MXE with an Iscan?

Anybody (Gordon of Convergent AV?) able to comment on the relative merits of an Iscan Ultra (ca. £1000) and the new board for the Pioneer due out next year for about £1600?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    See iScan Ultra Manual page 14.

DVI Format
    When using the DVI digital output, there are two output resolution formats that are available. The two formats available are 720x480p and 640x480p, selectable as ‘720’ or ‘640’.

Some displays with DVI inputs will assume that the source on that port is a PC and will not accept 720x480p, a resolution used in consumer electronics, but not in PCs. In this case, select 640x480p and the display should work properly.

Note that the standard 480p DVI output format can only be generated from a standard NTSC interlaced scan video signal. The digital output generated from a PAL or SECAM interlaced scan video signal is a digital progressive scan video signal (720x576p or 640x576p).

StooMonster

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    I believe that there are issues with DVI and pal on many devices for the reasons STOO mentions. The Key outboard scaler uses a proprietry link called DVIblaster which enables their current scaler to work at the resolutions it supports (not those the plasma wants). I guess they do this by conning the device in to thinnking its getting something it isn;t but I don't know.

I have no experience of the Iscan Ultra so can't comment on its performance.

The Key card should offer quality at least as good for de-interlacing as an Iscan (I'd predict better of course) on standard definition sources. It has SDI and DVI inputs as standard as well as audio re-sync loopthroughs. It will also be able to accurately de-interlace and scale hi-def material in 1080i format. Somehting I don't believe the Iscan does. Of course you need to have a hi-def source for that to be a benefit...hopefully we'll see such sources within the lifetime of your plasma display. (I will be buying a Dtheater tape deck just after Xmas)

Gordon

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks guys.

With a Denon 3800 outputting PAL prog scan into the 433, what I'm mainly after is something to improve the other sources, especially Sky digital. From what the manual says it appears the DVI out won't work with PAL interlaced. Suppose I could put a PAL/NTSC converter into the loop, or just settle for the VGA input. Pity because the DVI works really well hooked up to a PC.

Gordon - care to speculate on future High Def sources to tempt me to splash out on the Key card?

5. SimonA

SimonA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Simon,

I can;t seem to downlaid these. Can you email me the PioneerSDI card one and the Skybox one if you have a chance.

Thanks,

Gordon

CONVERGENTAV@BTINTERNET.COM

7. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

I had more success just now with right-clicking/ Save As... The Pioneer card is the KD one as far as I can tell.

Phil

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Hello all

Not tried the iScan Ultra as yet with any displays - hopefully an evaluation model will be available soon.

So just to clarify on inputting video signals into the DVI input on the Pioneer PDA-5002 card supplied with the MXE displays.

The input specification of Input 05 (DVI-D) on the Pioneer PDP-503 and PDP-433MXE plasma displays does not include PAL progressive nor NTSC progressive video signals. It is basically dedicated to a PC signal input of 56Hz or 60Hz.

NTSC Progressive (525p) is 60Hz/31.5k which may be accepted by Input 05 as a PC signal - some of our customers do this with the DVI output of the PSM192 module on the TAG Mclaren range of DVD players and processors.

Input 05 on the MXE displays cannot be modified to accept PAL at 50Hz.

Hopefully Key Digital's solution will resolve this problem so our TAG (and other) customers can start to use both PAL and NTSC Progressive signals into the DVI input.

The Front Niche products are very good - though aimed at the broadcast market and priced accordingly; there are other less expensive SDI solutions we are looking into at present.

Best regards

Joe

9. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Gordon,

Where do you plan to purchase your DTheatre player and tapes from? I'd just like to know if there is anyone selling these in the UK yet, or if you intend to undertake a personal import?

Is the JVC deck still the only machine available to play these on?
    Also, have you any idea of the sterling cost of the JVC deck and the tapes?

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    I cannot divulge my contact for D-Theatre. I hope that early next year JVC UK may start to play ball with this product. In the meantime I will attempt to provide JVC30,000 units to those who wish them (they are the only units out there right now)
    Gordon

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Gordon

Steve at Front Niche has been supplying SDI kit for a very long time and has a big customer base in the Broadcast and Production world - he should be high on your mailing list.

Best regards

Joe

12. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Gordon,

Would you be kind enough to post or pm me with a price for the JVC?

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

13. andyt

andyt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im sure theres lots of UK dealers waiting to rip us off for one of these baby's - I almost imported one a few months ago but other kit came first.

The JVC HM-DH3000U D-Theater is currently $645 + shipping in the states, and although the internet sites of these compaines indicates that they do not ship overseas, ive never found this to be a problem when ringing them up on the good old telephone.

Allow 17.5%% VAT + 5% duty on total bill

Make a call & save a bundle of cash.

check USA prices on this product at:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electro...342375-1304-20149605.box.6342375-311-20149605

14. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    so how much software is availible for these jvc things? it seems to be very good , but we (the UK) won't ever get to use them to their potential will we, not having a hdtv broadcasted?

15. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    dts_boy

There are currently 40 D-Theater titles available but about 10 of these are documentary/travelogue programmes. The latest big release is Ice Age which is available from DVD Empire for $26. Unfortunately only 4 Hollywood studios are currently supporting the format but hopefully more will follow soon - just like DVD started off.

Steve