1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iscan Ultra advice needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DaveP, Mar 24, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a Sony HS20 pj and I'm connecting up my Sky+ via an RGB to Component converter.

The pq is good but not what you would call very good or excellent.

I just bought a TV-100 card to use to capture the s-video outut from the sky+ and the picrure, through Dscaler, is not as good as the existing connection.

Both images are soft bordering on blurred.

The PC is connected via DVI from my ATI 9600SE card and the res is set at 1366x768. The info on the pj shows as a 1366x768 also.

So (finally) the question is: Should I buy the Iscan Ultra that is in the FS Forum? Would this give a sharper image?

Would this be the most cost effective solution or should I try the Sweetspot?

SWMBO is not happy with the money I've already spent on pj, cables, screen etc so a budget of about £250 is the max.

Or should I just accept that the picture is as good as I can expect from sky on a six foot screen?

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Dave

assuming that you have a razor sharp, 1:1 mapped image from your pc to the projector then SweetSpot should happily do the business for you, while maintaining domestic bliss at the same time :)
    The softness you are seeing isnt Sky, its the budget tv card :(

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks David, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, certainly seems like no-one else was going to!

As luck would have it, a sweetspot came up for sale so I have gone for that.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Dave

4. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:
    Yes Dave,go for the I-SCAN HD+ if you can,its future proofed with the HDCP compliance on the DVI input and one of its output resolutions is 1366 x 768.
    Having owned the ATI 9600se I can testify that the scaler is better with this res.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'd dearly love to get one, but it's way outside my budget!

Dave

6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Dave

sounds like a result :) While you will get improved SVideo performance just doing a like for like swap, you are best using the RGBS connections...but then you already knew that and I am just stating the obvious :)

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It comes with the scart lead, it won't be long enough though. Initially I shall have to try the component in from my RGB/Component converter.

Dave